Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Papa Murphy's Pizzza

CrimsonTideGirl
CrimsonTideGirl Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Papa Murphy's Pizza just opened in our area. It is a "take and bake" pizzaria where you buy it and take it home and cook it. I was thinking about getting one and putting it on the BGE. Has anyone eaten at a Papa Murphy's? Thanks, Katie

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I've done probably 6 of them, they are decent but not as good as what I can do from scratch. -RP
  • Here's a post from Saturday on the topic.

pizza
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    I've had a couple of them and don't like them, although most of the people that I know like them. My biggest problem is they put the pizza on this white cardboard type material and you can't remove it to put it on a pizza stone or a pizza crisper since it sticks very well to the white cardboard. I could never get a good crust with the way they make it. Maybe other locations are different but that was my experience.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    To each his own. Personally the uncooked pizza appears very appetizing and loaded, but the results were so so at best and I've never tried it again since then. I think they must use low fat cheeses and tasteless meats as compared to Nick-N-Willies for instance. I don't recall having a problem baking the crust - just a bland disappointing pizza which I can beat myself.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • vohsmk
    vohsmk Posts: 40
    We've had them a few times. I don't think they are too bad. We always get the creamy garlic sauce. The last time I was there picking up one, I asked if they would take the crust off the cardboard and put it on my pizza stone and they said that they could do that without any problem. As far as being bland tasting, I don't find them bland. You can always spice them up before you stick them on the egg.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Yup, mine was good, of course remove the support paper.

GG
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    That's why I said to each his own! OTOH if I have to spice it up why bother? We have a grocery chain out of St. Louis called Schnucks which makes it's own fresh pizzas and a 12" loaded take and bake pizza for only $6.49 is great - so it's not like I'm a pizza snob thinking only my own pizzas are good!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Let me be a grump. Go to their website. Download the ingredients list. Show me where the bread is just fine flour mixed with a sourdough culture. Or. lets see, they offer pomace olive oil. To site Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_oil
    "Olive pomace oil means oil extracted from the pomace using solvents, mostly hexane, and by heat".

Mmmm, yum, me want more. As the website says "it's the reason we've been named Best Pizza Chain in America* year after year. Papa Murphy's will keep on evolving, but our foundation is set in stone."

And, hmm? Murphy's is Italian for...?
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    They are the best, but the closed here in the Atlanta area. You will love them.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    kinda depends on what part of the world you call home & the quality of your local mom & pop pizza joints. Around me, it's all commerical pizza joints, the hut, johns, and such. So, I like the thin crust PM zas over the chain joints.

The large is 16 inches and fits nicely on the rig with extender and 16 stone. That is it for the set up, high in the dome with the temp around 425ish dome. The paper carrying thing is nice to get the za off the stone. Just give the stone plenty of time to heat up.

Picture009.jpg

pappamurphypiccombo.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • mrdnks
    mrdnks Posts: 67
    Papa Murphy's is fabulous.
    Don't get me wrong I can make a great pizza but if you don't have the time to wait for dough give it a try.
    You can pull it off the cardboard after a couple minutes or just leave it on and it will brown up just fine. I LOVE the chicken garlic, making my mouth water just typing this. :woohoo:
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    We like them pretty well, a good compromise between a frozen 'za and a parlor pizza in the winter, and a quick alternative to a homemade pie in the Egg the rest of the year. The thin crust cooks nicely on the Egg, and I think the ingredients are of decent quality. Cheers, Erik
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Tried it two times, not worth the price and hassle. I can go across the street and buy a cooked pie with 4 times the ingredients for about a dollar more.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Hazaaa
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Hazaaa
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS