Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Avocado smoked cheese

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just smoked my first..... cheese.

I got some avocado wood from a friend with an avocado orchard (and about 1000 avocado's) so I thought I would try smoking it.

This kind of reminded me the first time I did a pork shoulder. For some reason, intimidating at first, you do it once and you realize it's super easy.

Temperature never registered on the thermometer so I figure I did that right. One of the benefits of the high mass of the egg. If it did start to get up there I was ready to throw some ice in a drip tray onto my stone.

Anyway, pretty successful. :)

Here it is:

Put holes in peanut can:
IMG_4513.JPG

Get some previously burnt lump up and cooking.
IMG_4515.JPG

Add wood. It would have been better if there was twice as much wood cut into smaller pieces. Still worked well though. Hey! It's my first day! :) I left the old lump in there because I'm cooking later anyway.
IMG_4516.JPG

That is avocado smoke. Don't eggheads have 50 ways to say smoke (I know one: smoke)
IMG_4520.JPG

Finished product. I was surprised it didn't change color. It tasted smokey (and good). It really needs a day to figure itself out.
IMG_4523.JPG

Avocado is a decent wood to smoke with. Thanks for looking.

Comments

• popagar0
    popagar0 Posts: 136
    Options
    what kind of cheese did you use? how long did you smoke it?
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    It is super easy, isn't it!
    What type of cheese did you smoke?
    Let it rest a few days, if you can :evil:
    Some say a week or two, but that's real hard to do :blush:
    What was your ambient temp?
    Nice job from the looks of it B)
  • Unknown
    Options
    It was old irish cheddar.

I threw it in for an hour - it should have been more I think. I also think it would be useful to have the cheese at room temperature when you put in on. I had it in the freezer for 30 mins before hand. I think the inevitable condensation got in the way of a decent smoke.

I was mostly just screwing around today. I should have stirred chips or the pieces of wood throughout. Oh well. I know what to do next time (isn't that the way it always is). :)

The temperature never registered on the egg. I must have kept it below ~150F.