Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker

thegrillster
thegrillster Posts: 348
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Love my stoker!

Nuff said!

Comments

• Now that you bring it up. As the new owner of a Stoker, what was it that swayed you from the Guru? Also did you have any difficulty setting it up, getting it online etc.?
  • thegrillster
    thegrillster Posts: 348
    I liked the monitoring features of the stoker, i.e. the ability to wirelessly control it.

I also like the fact that I can control many more probes with the stoker.

Plus, I just think it is cooler. Probably not functionally better but just seemed to have more of a gadget mentality behind it plus very useful.
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    LOL. As someone involved with process control systems, I was wondering if there was not someone out there who had produced something exactly like this! It's way over the top (c'mon people, we're cookin' meat over flames!) but I have to admit, it's going to be hard for me to resist one of these! I guess it will mean more temp probes relegated to the back of the "catch all" kitchen drawer!!!!
  • ViennaJack
    ViennaJack Posts: 357
    The best thing about the Stoker is being in a meeting at work watching everyone check emails their Blackberries, and when I check my Blackberry, I'm checking on how my latest low-and-slow is doing, or switching to a holding temp once the food has reached the desired internal temperature.

It's a great conversation starter.

Oh, and now it "tweets" with the latest firmware.

I haven't been using mine much lately because I'm trying to practice temperature stabilization without a controller, but http://www.twitter.com/viennabbq is where it tweets when it's running.

Jack
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    When I bought the Egg, I liked it. After I bought my "Stoker", I love it
  • Looks like you have a nice 14 pound chuck roast on right now. Let me know how it goes.

How long of a burn would I be able to get with a stoker on a medium egg? How do you start the burn and put your chips in?
  • ViennaJack
    ViennaJack Posts: 357
    Thanks - this is my first time with a chuck roast. I'm cooking them just like a pork butt, two roasts at about 7 pounds each. The first one just came off and I just finished pulling it. Delicious. Waiting for the second one to come up to 195 now.

I'm probably not the best person to ask about slow and low times with a medium but I can't imagine you not being able to do a 14-20 hour slow and low cook on a full load of lump. I'd post a new message and ask some actual medium owners to be certain though.