Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

US Beef in an European XL egg

Options
EggSimon
EggSimon Posts: 422
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy folks,

With this cook, I took the chance to cook an US beef brisket flat :lol:

And that was not all, this cook was the maiden trip of the XL egg.

Here the flat, a 5 pounder:

P1000456.jpg

Looks great and promised good times :mrgreen:

P1000457.jpg

injected with ButcherBBQ Marinade and rubbed down:

Here a shot in the egg. This are mesquite chips, want it Texas Style.

P1000461.jpg

started yesterday night, an overnighter was the idea. Started the egg at 9.30 pm and placed the brisket on top of the raised grid. Wan´t enough space under the meat, to reach a great, overall smoke flavor:

P1000462.jpg

Woke up at 6 am, the internal was @ 175. So I decided to go ahead without a foli phase. Have also heard that the foil phase is not really neccesary with an egg. So, lets see.

3 hours later we reached 195 internal. I wrapped it and placed it for 3 hours in the preheated cooler.

Moment of truth:

P1000466.jpg

P1000468.jpg

P1000471.jpg

P1000470.jpg

P1000469.jpg

P1000474.jpg

P1000472.jpg

folks, it was the best brisket I ever cooked. By far. OK, no smoke ring, and the smoke flavor was only average. But the bark was great, the meat was jucy and tender.

Things I´v learned:

- US beef is facor 10 better than European
- The XL egg requires 90 minutes to get warm
- add more mesquite chips
- reduce the amount of rub

Wish everybody a nice weekend !

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    EggSimon, that looks great. I do see a small smoke ring too, & it doesn't really matter, as long as the flavor was good. Give larger chunks of smoking wood a try next time, you'll get more flavor & more of a ring. Great pictures too, the beans look tasty
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    Looks fantastic man!

In regards to the smoke ring -

If I can smell the smoke coming out of the cooker, and I can taste it on the meat, that's all I care about. Smoke rings to me, isn't what it's all about. You can still have a smoky flavor without a huge smoke ring.

Check this link out:

http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuehelp/g/gsmokering.htm

And 90 minutes to get warm!? Dang..
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    It looks very juicy. I bet it was good with those beans. :P Tim
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Outstanding Brisket BBQ! Very nice job for a first cook in your big beautiful XLarge Egg. Man, I'm getting hungry just lookin at the pic's. Beans look great also.
    EggSimon, please keep us informed on your cooking, we enjoy seeing the pictures. :cheer:
    Have fun with your new egg!
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Lookin good my friend. Glad your smoke was an enjoyable experience. Maybe put in wood "Chunks" rather than chips for a stronger smoke flavor. :)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Simon,

You may want to start using 'chunks' vs. the chips. They can provide a much longer smoke time.
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    Looks great, I just tried to eat my computer screen, :P

Maybe putting the wood chips or chunks on after the fire is lit and ready for the meat would help infuse more smoke flavor.

Last night I put chicken thighs on, cooked one side, then lifted the rack threw some chips on and got an intense smoke for about 5 minutes, then tampered off at about 10 minutes...gave the meat great flavor!
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    Hi Simon,

I believe you wrote you are in Germany. Are you American or German? Where in DE are you? I have been in Munich for quite some time. Congrats on your brisket! You are right. Beef in Europe can't compete with the States.

Schöntag
  • EggSimon
    Options
    boston_stoker wrote:
    Hi Simon,

I believe you wrote you are in Germany. Are you American or German? Where in DE are you? I have been in Munich for quite some time.

I´m a German Egghead. I live approx 50 miles northeast of Stuttgart and 140 miles northwest of Munich. Nice are, but bad milkers :pinch:
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Wow that's a nice looking brisket. I think wood chunks might have given you a better ring. I usually throw one chunk of pecan in the mix if I want a nice smoke ring. Don't know why, but pecan gives a great ring. Maybe two mesquite chunks and a pecan chunk...

Ed
  • SmokinInCypress
    Options
    Hi EggSimon,

Looks great and better smoke ring than I've been able to achieve (only did one brisket), I don't think I added enough chips. Pork butt is a great slow and low also, I have done a few and they are tasty!

Is the US beef expensive there?

Great to see eggers in other countries! Keep on Egging!! :)
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Nice looking brisket. It was the German settlers in Central Texas that pioneered the brisket cook. So, you are right at home with this cook.

Try chunks instead of chips for more smoke flavor.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    EggSimon, nice looking brisket! :) I bet that's something your friends don't get everyday.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks great to me!! Nice pics too! Thanks!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Don Marco
    Don Marco Posts: 287
    Options
    Nice chunk of cow, Simon :)

DM
    www.don-marcos-bbq.de
  • EggSimon
    Options
    Don Marco wrote:
    Nice chunk of cow, Simon :)

DM

Folks,

Marco organized that eggcelent cut of meat for me.

Thanks a lot Marco for that !
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    I spent about 9 months in Schwaben (Stuttgart) a few years ago. I hope you find the forum helpful. Chunks will definitely work better than chips. If you can't find chunks, make sure you spread the chips throughout the charcoal so that they were be continuous smoke as the fire spreads out. You may also want to consider adding more chips every hour or so, especially in the beginning of the cook.

By the way, some of the Texas settlers tjv refers to still speak German. In fact, researchers from Germany have gone there to study there language because it essentially is a time capsule of German from over 100 years ago.

Schöne Tag und good luck with your Fußball match this evening.