Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Spatchcock question.

smoker62
smoker62 Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just finished cleaning , demembraning , mustarding , bad byroning and wrapping 6 baby back racks in saran wrap and put in fridge for a morning cook. i have had two chickens spatchcocked and sitting uncovered since yesterday night , in the fridge of course. I did my last ones with bad byrons. I want to try a different rub because i have enough byrons on the ribs. i was thinking of rubbing with olive oil in the morning then maybe some garlic , and rosemary , thyme etc. Change the taste a little from the rib spice. We are eating it all about the same time . I have family coming over to spend the day by the pool and cocktailing on the deck for my 48th b-day tomorrow. What do you think of the chicken, any good ideas . Can it be possible to fall in love with an egg? :whistle:

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Sounds like a good plan.
    My thoughts on the chicken .... where do you live and what time are we eating? :laugh:
  • smoker62
    South east wisconsin, about 1-2 o clockish, come on over !! Scallops wrapped in bacon, grilled asparugus with pimento will be on also.
  • Happy Birthday - have fun tomorrow and take pictures, we love pictures!

EDIT - I just re-read and I think you should go with the rosemary, EVOO, garlic to be different from the byrons (whatever is in that)! I agree with you to go a different flavor on the chicken! Sorry if I have confused you even more.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Smoke, not only is it possible to fall in love with an egg. If you keep cooking on it-- its probable. I wax poetic nearly every time I fire it up and especially on low and slow cooks. I can't get enough of that true BBQ essence wafting through the air. I am also amazed every time I fire it up in the rain, actually I giggle a little knowing I am somehow stealing time that I would have put off starting up the gasser. Happy Birthday. I remember 48, it was a fond memory I am sure.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Happy Birthday tomorrow I was born in Madison in 1957. I like a sweet rub on my chicken if you have any turbinado sugar or sugar in the raw you can add it to your rub. Enjoy your family and don't drink to much. Tim
  • smoker62
    Thanks all , I think I will just wing it, ha ha, in the morning. A bad chicken on the egg is still better than any chicken from elsewhere. Florida girl , what happened to the recipe you had posted. Please post again , I read earlier but was on my way out so I did not have time to respond. It sounded like one I would like to try. Beautiful sunset in your pic also.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    When I run out of other ideas for a rub I fall back on the old standby of olive oil, kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. It never disappoints.