Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza peel

Blizzard58
Blizzard58 Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Where is the best and cheapest place to get a pizza peel?

Comments

• Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Don't waste your money on a peel. I have used parchment paper and it works great. No storage problems and super easy to use.
  • KB
    KB Posts: 144
    There are a bunch of them online.

I have a wooden peel that I use to place the pizza on the stone. I dust it with bread crumbs before placing the raw pizza on it and the act like little ball bearings that enable it slide nicely onto the stone.

In my indoor oven, I take the entire stone out of the oven after the pizza is cooked, but in the Egg, I slide the pizza off the top of it. I have a metal spatula that I use to loosen it from places where it might stick a little bit to the stone and carefully lift it out of the Egg. I plan to add a metal pizza peel to my toolbox.

In summary, I recommend a wooden peel to put the pizza in the Egg and a metal one to remove it. I read a review on Amazon.com where someone bought a metal peel and for placing the pizza into their oven and they found the raw dough stuck to it. They are switching back to wood.
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    I got mine at Gordons foods. The wooden peel is considered a make peel which you "make the pizza on" then a metal peel is what you pull the pizzas when they are finished cooking according to my brother in the pizza business. I have a wooden peel and I use parchment paper and the peel to transfer the pizza to the stone and pull the parchment mid cook and use the wooden peel to pull the pizza. Some don't use a pizza peels but I like tools and it makes me feel like a the professed egghead pizza king guy on here..LOL
  • They are easy to make out of some scrap wood.

IMG_3837800x600.jpg

One on the left is for the XL - glued up some red wood scraps - left over from table build.

Middle and right for small and mini - cut out of a single board - oak

Rough shape with a saw and complete with a sander. Taper the end with a sander.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Usually the CHEAPEST place to find one is at a restaurant supply store. If you live in/near a semi-large city, you should be able to find one that is open to the public.

If you have modest wood working skills you can make your own:

Build A Peel

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    not cheapest but I love my super peel.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • I have a super peel too. They are highly recommended on baking sites. http://www.superpeel.com/

Parchment paper works well too.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Bought the metal peel from Amazon but all you need is
    the parchment paper and a upside down bakeing sheet pan to use as a peel.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    I was given our first wooden peel at least 30 years ago. It's still as good as new. I recently bought another one from Fantes so I can assemble the second pizza on it and still have an unused peel to remove the first pizza from the Egg.
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    Those look great. I'm about to start one and have a couple of questions. What did you use for finish? And how much taper on the end. Down to 1/8 or so?

Thanks
  • If you do consider the Super Peel, it is not without its problems. This link is to my results
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=520002&catid=1#
    I don’t use mine now and prefer a cheap peel that came with a cheap stone. The stone died after a dozen cooks on the Egg but the peel is getting better and better.
    I think that parchment paper is convenient but the moisture that is pulled using a bare stone makes for a crisper crust.
    I think your original search is the way to go, get a cheap peel. Mine says Villa Maria on it but I doubt it originated in Italy. I thank it was $15 with the cheap stone. Got it at a mall type cooking store but have seen this kit at outlet mall cooking shops.
    TTFN WLL
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    looks like a great place to get one. :whistle:
  • Neaux finish

1/8" should probably work - I tapered down to a point - like a dull knife edge.

If you have a table saw you can take out a big chunk to make the tapering go faster. Without a table saw, a belt sander will make quick work of it as well. I used a belt sander to finish the taper and an orbital sander to relieve the edges all the way around.

Good luck with it.
  • I've never had a problem.
  • KB
    KB Posts: 144
    We never had one stick until we left it on the peel for an extended period. Try making the pizza and then tranferring it to the egg right away.