Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Little help please

smoker62
smoker62 Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to do 6 racks of baby backs , two 5 lb Spatchcocked chickens , some bacon wrapped scallops and some bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos. I figured I need about 5 hours on the ribs , then pull them and maybe keep in a crock pot to keep warm while the chicken cooks . Maybe 2 hours for the chickens, then do the scallops and Jalapenos. I would like to serve all at one time or close. My hardest part is timing and =figuring what to put on first. Does my plan sound ok. I have to order the rig and spider yet so I only have one rack right now. Any easy ways to get two levels until my rack comes in? Then I could do the scallops and jalapeneos at the same time with the chickens. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    When the ribs are done wrap them in HDAF and then wrap in old towels. Put them in an ice chest. The ribs will stay hot for 2-3 hours....
  • EGGRPh
    EGGRPh Posts: 180
    You could always try to find another ceramic grid then use some fire bricks to separate the two cooking surfaces. Hope this helps.
  • at 5 hours on the ribs, you might find that the ribs aren't quite done (unless you are doing a 3-1-1 cook). but that's ok. pull them and put them in a foil pan covered in foil, at 250 in the oven.

the chicken will take less time than that, maybe an hour at 400 direct, max. when you take the chicken off, they'll need to rest anyway before carving. do the scallops and jalapenos direct, at 400 also, and they will be done in maybe 20-30 minutes (jalapenos). might wanna par-cook the bacon on the scallops, or use real thin stuff. scallops will take much less time than the jalapenos if they are smallish. put them on last.

if you want to elevate a second grid, use three chunks of brick (doesn't need to be firebrick) and a spare grid
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    This is an easy raised grid.
    Raisedgrid.jpg
  • OttawaEgg
    OttawaEgg Posts: 283
    Looks good to me, since you're going from a lower heat to a higher one it should work fine.

The only thing I'm thinking is the scallops should only take about 5 minuts tops - while the jalepenos can take 30-40 mins. If your egg is big enough, maybe you can put the jalepenos on about 40 mins before the chicks are done?

I'm not eggspert (it says that - but that just means I ask the most questions LOL) - I'm sure there's plenty of people here with tons more expertise.

Cheers
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    wrap ribs in foil wrap in old towels and put in a preheated cooler,, i think 2 hours is an overestimate for spatchcocked 5 pounders at 350° i would think more like an hour+,, while the chicken is resting under a foil tent you can do the scallops ,, i have never cooked abt's i suspect they take a bit too long for your plan,, which seems a tad over ambicious for 1 grid or! go to the big box store buy a 16-18" round grid and 4 x 4-5in stainless bolts, 12 nuts and 12 washers. washer up against bolt head>put thru grid>another washer and nut> tighten to hold bolt to grid> nut @ height you want>washer>nut. this will allow the second grid to sit on the first. then you can do abts at the same time as chicken.. scallops last and you can always resauce the ribs and throw them back on for a few minutes right before service ..
    bill
  • Just a couple questions? doe the nuts and bolts have to be stainless and also is attached at the bottom rack similar to what it is at the top
  • they don't need to be stainless....

the "feet" are usually another washer held by more nuts
  • SmokinFizx
    SmokinFizx Posts: 29
    If you look real close you'll see that the legs are carriage bolts. With the large round head of a carriage bolt you wouldn't have to attach the upper rack to the lower rack. It would just sit on top of the lower Egg rack. I'm pretty sure that's what Ripnem is doing here.

Great idea. I was about to toss an old bullet smoker I've got but I think I'll hang onto the racks now and try this.

Randy
    Ozark, Mo
  • smoker62
    I cant seem to find an extra rack that fits. Seems all the stores around me only have the Weber kettle replacement at 22 " I think. The large needs 18" if I remember .Or anything smaller would help. I have some fire bricks just need a cheap grid. I am ordering a rig and spider soon.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    smoker,

I've used rocks in a pinch. :) remember, 3 legs won't wobble, but can tilt. :laugh:
  • Surely you could get a grid of the right size at a store that sells Eggs? Do you have one of those around you?

Doug
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i believe the lump grate for the 22 weber fits, they should have that and its cheaper
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bingo. that's the one. weber charcoal grate replacement
  • SmokinFizx
    SmokinFizx Posts: 29
    The nice thing about charcoal grates is their heavy gauge steel. While they're not great for shrimp, because of the wider spacing, the heavier steel retains heat better and will create nice grill marks.
  • smoker62
    Doug in Eggmonton wrote:
    Surely you could get a grid of the right size at a store that sells Eggs? Do you have one of those around you?

Doug

Yes , but the store I bought mine at is a new dealer and has very limited accessories right now. They have to order everything.
  • The first installment of "The Frugal EGG Gourmet"?

How hard are the stainless steel carriage bolts, washers, nuts to find?

Any suggestions on where to find the grid by itself, or would it be easier to just get another standard BGE grid.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    This is how I built mine before ordering the AR.

The setup in photo is upside down ... the head of the carriage bolt is wide enough to sit on the lower grid without additional fasteners, it can be lifted without disturbing the lower grid. I also used fender washers for better stability. Notice the lower washer is notched so the legs can get closer to the edge, it also prevents the leg(s) from dipping off the fire ring when there's no lower grid.

notchedwasher.jpg
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    yup, that's the one I used. paid $20 in GWN, saw them later down south at Lowe's for $11-12.
    canuckland
  • 4 bolts, 12 washers, 12 nuts

Nut
    Washer
    Extra upper grid
    Washer
    Nut

Gap between grids

Nut
    Washer
    Lower grid
    Washer
    Nut (this one may not be needed depending on bolt)
    Bolt head

Or if you can get the right bolt....

Washer
    Extra upper grid
    Washer
    Nut

Gap between grids

Bolt head
    Grid

With this second option, you can easily pick up the extra grid and remove it.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    If you are raising your grid tothe felt line you can use an 18" grid, if you are going above the felt line you need a smaller grid because of the slope of the dome. I think 14" is the most common size below 18"
    You can use u-bolts instead of straight bolts which eliminates any possibility of slipping through the lower grid. Also, use three, not four, that way it will not wobble [thats why BGE supplies 3 green feet with the eggs B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Capt Frank
    Here is what I am talking about B)
    4691016749_8c7d9aba4c_b.jpg

You will need extra nuts and flat washers for the U-bolts

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • smoker62
    Great idea , thanks Capt.Frank. I have the oregon Pacific wireless also like I see in the pic. Works so far.
  • Capt Frank
    The model I have is put out by Weber [my BGE dealer is also a Weber dealer}, I've had it about a year and it works OK. Main thing I don't like is having to use their pre-set temps. I haven't done much research but I'm going to find one that I just dial in whatever temp I want. The remote part is great though, that is mainly why I bought it.
    Glad I could help :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL