Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pressure Cooked Ribs - Final Thought

civil eggineer
civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just finished my 3rd cook of ribs...fridg to table in 50 minutes. They are very good and I hope others will try this and comment.

The first cook I cooked them under pressure for 25 min, the second cook 15 min., and the third cook 20 minutes. I believe the second cook were slightly underdone although certainly tasty. I really couldn't tell any detriment on cooking them for 25 minutes as they were tender and flavorful so I think that will be my standard. It also helps cover if you have some extra meaty ribs. After a controlled pressure release (~3 minutes) they went onto a 350 dome raised, direct grill for 5 minutes a side. Three small hickory chunks were thrown onto the hot coals immediately priior to placing the ribs on.

Even though it may be BBQ sacrilegious, they are very good with much less chance of long cooking error for doneness. Thank You!

Comments

• my only thought would be that if there is any flavor to the water at all, haven't you then lost flavor from the meat? i imagine the smoke ring isn't a big deal, but do you get much smoke flavor?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I'm not trying to throw a wrench in the draworks but did you give any thought to doing these in reverse.... that is, flavor smoking the ribs for 90 minutes then following with a pressure step, then hitting the grill for a glaze?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    It is not exactly the same, but my mother used to parboil ribs then put them in the oven, this was 50 yrs ago. I thought they were good then, but now I know better :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • civil eggineer
    I was sauteeing carrots, onions, celery before dumping 1 cup of beef broth into the bottom at first but tonight just dumped 1 cup of beef broth and closed it up. Really, I think the pork is very flavorful and perhaps by cooking with steam instead of boiling :angry: helps maintain flavor. They do pick upa nice smoke flavor in their short time resting in the egg.

I have only fully cooked ribs in the egg a half dozen times in the past...some where great, some were good. I really can't compare the flavors of the two methods with much experience to draw on. That is why I would really like a salty egger such as yourself to try this method and give everyone your two cents. I can honestly say I will always cook them pressure in the future due to the decrease in time and the excellent taste. These are as good as any ribs I have ever had at a restaurant and there is one I have gone to for over 10 years because of their ribs. They lost a customer. The egg has reduced my restaurant visits now to Italian food only. :(
  • civil eggineer
    I thought about the reverse process but think the steam would rob them of any benefit from pre-cooking. They aren't pretty coming out of the pressure cooker...kind of like ET. The 10 minutes on the egg gives them a nice mahogany color to get the saliva flowing.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Tim,

I've done them twice now, babybacks for 25 minutes...not a good idea and St louis for twenty and an hour on the egg very good. Nice to be able to do ribs on a schoolnight. Did pulled beef the other night and wasn't really thrilled.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• i dunno nuthin about pressure cooking. i wish there were an active facebook page where i could learn interesting stuff about the whole thing
  • civil eggineer
    So you did not like the baby backs but liked the spare ribs? Could you please elaborate, thanks!
  • civil eggineer
    You seem to be withholding information...we have ways to make you talk!
  • SmokinJ
    SmokinJ Posts: 220
    I did them once like Thirdeye mentioned.I was smoking them and a couple hours or so into the cook I had something come up so to finish quick.So I put them in the pressure cooker.They had a smokey taste since they were in smoke for a bit.I went to pull them out and most of the bones stayed in the pot.I went to long under pressure.They were tasty.Whatever works.I like trying different things.The weekend I am going to try ribs in my weber kettle with my rotisserie and smokenator.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Tim,

Didn't have my glasses on the babybacks and I thought I saw 25 minutes but it was 15. Little mushy. The spares were very good at 20 minutes.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Blizzard58
    Blizzard58 Posts: 35
    I am just guessing here but don't you have to use water in a pressure cooker? I was always under the impression the cooking meat in water has the tendency to remove flavor from the meat. I know from past experiance you can get the same effect as far as tenderness from using the ftc method. It takes longer but it is all about taste. If we were in a hurry we wouldn't be cooking in a egg would we. Just my 2 cents which when combined with 5 dollars won't even buy you a cup of coffee.
  • civil eggineer
    I place them on top of a trivet so the ribs are above the liquid level. As far as long cooking on the egg I agree to a point. If I can reduce cooking time and have a similar end tasting product I will vote for that. Ribs are the only thing I would attempt to vary from a long low and slow due to the end variability I have experienced cooking them.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Our local BBQ place pressure cooks their ribs before they go into the smoker. They're as good as the best I've done on the Egg. I don't have a pressure cooker but if I did I'd certainly give it a try.