Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

THERMAPEN INFO

mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I just read every post on the Thermapen "not made in the USA" thread. To me, if it isn't made in China, it is probably ok!

The new Thermapen has pros and cons. Every model change has pros and cons and some people will like it and some people won't. But the company hasn't changed, their policies haven't changed, and they are still great to work with and stand behind their products. And the price ETI shows them for on their website is their retail...doubtful if it is the wholesale price to Thermoworks!!!

And you can STILL get them from me for $85. No tax. No shipping (unless you are farrrr away). No VAT. And no markup.

Was this helpful?

mShark

Comments

• FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    mollyshark wrote:
    Well I just read every post on the Thermapen "not made in the USA" thread. To me, if it isn't made in China, it is probably ok!
    mShark

Molly, I know this doesn't have much to do, but if I am not mistake, our Eggs' are also made in China. This doesn't bother me one bit. Would I prefer made in US, of course.

I mean I've just come to live with it. If it's made in USA I try and support when I can. Unfortunately very few things are made here now. Except great BBQ. :)
  • no, our eggs are made in Mexico....
  • hey molly, don't forget about the part that with you we also get the CUTEST service in ft. worth texas!! :blush: :woohoo:
  • FLbobecu
    mad max beyond eggdome wrote:
    no, our eggs are made in Mexico....

Ah, thanks.

Sorry for the OT - :(
  • no problem. .. come to eggtoberfest in atlanta, there are usually a couple of folks from the mexican factory there. .. really nice people. ..

actually, i don't think any of the ceramic cookers are made in china. . . primos are made right in the USA, i think grill domes are made in malaysia or some place like that, and i'm not sure about any of the others. . .
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Your help and information on the Thermapens is the best.
    You have been doing this for as long as I have been an Egger. Thank you very much.
    I have used my original model for many years. It broke about six months ago and I sent it in for repair. I had it back in one week with a no charge repair. They are great.
    I have one of the new models now as well. I purchased when my original broke. I was expecting a long repair or no repair at all. My mistake. I like the new model as well but miss the lanyard clip and recessed display.
    I see they now have a silicon body glove for the new model. Have you tested one yet?
    Thanks again,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Hi Molly are you back home now? Tim
  • zflava
    zflava Posts: 43
    Molly, I am strongly considering a Thermapen purchase. You just moved me a little closer with that low price and free shipping. Do you ship to Maryland for free. If so, how do I order?
  • smoker62
    smoker62 Posts: 80
    Molly , I sent the pp this morning. I forgot to specify a color, I am ok with anything but Pink. :whistle:
    I guesss Black, Green, Red, would be my first choices. Thanks again.
  • Denbbq
    Denbbq Posts: 84
    Molly,
    I bought an original Thermapen. Didn't know you sold them or would have bought from you. The first time I used it, it got "slightly" wet. Since then it has not seemed calibrated correctly. Different temps in meat than smaller,cheaper thermometer,ambient 4or 5 degrees high, skin temp 3 or 4 degrees low. Says not to put it in water so have not checked boiling temp. Can I send it back to Thermopen to fix or am I out of luck?
    Thanks for the help.
  • Denbbq
    Denbbq Posts: 84
    Molly,
    I bought an original Thermapen. Didn't know you sold them or would have bought from you. The first time I used it, it got "slightly" wet. Since then it has not seemed calibrated correctly. Different temps in meat than smaller,cheaper thermometer,ambient 4or 5 degrees high, skin temp 3 or 4 degrees low. Says not to put it in water so have not checked boiling temp. Can I send it back to Thermopen to fix or am I out of luck?
    Thanks for the help.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Call or write Thermoworks. They are good folks and you will be surprised at their repair prices. BTW, it's ok to get the PROBE wet. :)

http://www.thermoworks.com/contact_us.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Yes, you can put the probe in water but not the control side obviously.

Carolina Q put a link to the Thermoworks site and you can call toll free. Talk with Amber. You can recalibrate yourself, however, there are specific steps in doing the calibration. If you will email me with your email address I will send you the Thermoworks instructions.

GG
  • mollyshark
    Thanks for clearing that one up for everyone. Ever go shopping and try NOT to buy made in China? It's almost impossible. I've been trying to do that since the poisoned dog food and baby formula incidents. Enough, ya know?

mShark
  • mollyshark
    Haven't tried the condo....uh, body glove. One more thing for me to lose. And yes, I miss the lanyard the most. I have hooks over my egg and normally hang it there when I am cooking. But I still have a golden oldie blueberry one that is older than the sun already. Still works great.

mShark
  • mollyshark
    Back home. Hope to have some pix soon! Boy could I get used to that cruising life. No reason not to have a mini-egg on the balcony of the stateroom and I'm set!

mShark
  • FLbobecu
    mollyshark wrote:
    Thanks for clearing that one up for everyone. Ever go shopping and try NOT to buy made in China? It's almost impossible.
    mShark

I try - yes. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Can't wait for the pic's. Tim
  • Blizzard58
    Blizzard58 Posts: 35
    mollyshark wrote:
    mShark
    I feel the same way if it isn't made in china it should be alright
  • Thermapens are great, I will be picking on up soon.
  • Carolina Q
    Now that's just cruel!! Mollyshark starts this thread saying that you can still buy them from her for $85 and you post a link to Thermoworks! :lol:

Send an email to Mollyshark - she can fix you up. ;)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I'm buying one from Molly. Buy local!
  • 2Fategghead
    Michael, I wasn't trying to be cruel but, the visitor can see the product he is thinking about buying from the site. Also, can a visitor send an email to a member via a members profile? I was thinking they could not. Tim :)
  • Carolina Q
    My bad. You are correct. :blush:

Still, maybe they'll join just for the fringes! :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    Sorry Molly I wasn't trying to take away any of your business. :blush:

I guess Carolina Q was right. Tim