Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Future Egghead has size question

Options
Egg Juju
Egg Juju Posts: 658
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am finally going to get my egg at a local eggfest, but I cant decide on which size. I am debating between the large and XL. I usually cook for 2, but I have been known to cook for up to 16. I also have a bullet type smoker so that would give me some extra space for larger cooks, but I am thinking I might get addicted to the egg and not want to cook on anything else. :woohoo: So, should I do the XL now and be done with it? Or, should I get the large, see how it goes, and buy another in a year or so? :evil:

If you could tell me what size you like and why I would greatly appreciate it. Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    for the same amount of money I would pass on the XL and instead buy a large and a small. That is a terrific versatile combination.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    This is a pre-recorded message:

I often hear that the large does not have the capacity to cook for a large family.

Let me tell you that is a lot of bull. When my family gets together we are typically 20+. My XL sits there and wishes I would use him.

So here is my proof:

Please note the amount of sausage on this egg:
    IMG_8030-020.jpg

6 7-9 pound butts on this egg:

IMG_8055-033.jpg

Just for contrast please note the amount of meat on this Lang 60:

IMG_8059-035.jpg

I cooked 18 butts on 3 eggs and took up less space.

My XL gets used when I cater and even then it's only used for something that may not physically fit on my large and can't be cut into smaller chunks.

Ohh did I tell you I have 2 small eggs too. You will NOT be disappointed with the Egg, unless you fail to learn how to use it or don't use it. Many of us use it as our primary cooking source year round.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Go with the large and then pick up a small later. Much more versatility in the long run and the savings in lump when your really don't need the XL's extra space will make up the difference in cost over time.

Mark
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

First let me say I don't have an XL so, however, I do have a large, medium small and mini. I would put more credit from those who have and currently use the XL's.

There are 2 here occasionally 3 to 5 more and once a month 26 in all. The large will cook for all just fine. The 26 cook takes some planning on what to cook but cooking pork butt (pulled or sliced), large pot roast, chicken, hot dogs, brats burgers and such can be handled just fine with the one egg.

It was real nice to get the second egg, a medium.

I have sort of been thinking about getting an XL probably because I don't have one.

Doing it all over again I would get the large first and if I had the money I would also pick up a mini at the same time or maybe a second large. In the end I would have 2 larges and a mini.

Congratulations on getting your new egg.

GG
  • EGGs N@
    EGGs N@ Posts: 50
    Options
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The XL does not give you a real big advantage over slow cooking large cuts of meat. (pork butt, brisket and such)

The XL is a grilling machine if you want to cook a bunch of burgers, steaks, chicken breasts, pork chops, wings and things.
    The 24" single layer grilling surface is great. Never have to crowd your food and flipping and rotating food is easy on the XL. Doing these types of cooks on the large are more work. Either have multiple grates of food or cook in shifts. I use my XL way more than my large BGE. Always like to cook a little extra for week day lunches. Also nice to have the space to toss on your side dishes. I do more grilling than low and slow.
    By pushing the lump to one side of the XL you can create direct and indirect cooking at the same time. Works like cooking on two smaller eggs in most cases.

If your main goal is slow cooking lots of large cuts of meat get the Large BGE.
    If you like to grill a bunch as well don't rule out the XL.

Good luck on your choice,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    CW = XL Basher ;)

I have an XL, Small, and Mini

Small and mini see more action and I have only done a few cooks that would have exceeded the Large capacity.

If I were doing it over again I would get a Large and Small like Ron said
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    when i got the egg i started cooking differently for bigger crowds, standing at a grill cooking steaks, burgers, dogs, chicken etc were things of the past. now for a quarter the price i put out some descent bbq, sit back, drink, mingle, and enjoy the party. this will feed 60 or so folks out of a large, i cooked this for a crowd of 7 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: two eggs is better than one and it doesnt matter which you start with, seems you will have atleast two down the road, plan ahead. heres my large

2005012055.jpg

5a1453bd.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I have two large eggs and use them often for direct and indirect cooks at different temps there is only two of us with the occasional group cook out. It is possible I am smoking a butt at the same time I can fire up the other egg and cook a different meal. I have the plate setter and the adjustable rig with lots of grids to switch eggs or eggcessories. It works very well for me. Tim

As you see I have a large egg in a table and one in a nest.

000_1742.jpg
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    What size you go with has everything to do with what type of cooks you intend to do.
    Your question is posted on this forum at least once a week. Between Celtic Wolf, Grandpa's Grub, and Photo Egg, I believe you have gotten the best and most comprehensive answers I have seen. Let us know what you decide :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    one other thing, i dont own an xl, but if i were to buy one i would make sure to get the one with the taller dome, there may still be alot of the older style out there that havent been bought up. heres something a new buyer doesnt realize at first is that you can go verticle in a large as well. you can see there is room for alot more racks if you needed it. hope your bullet smoker was a gasser, the burner is all you would want to keep from that smoker once you use an egg for a while ;)

DSC_0062.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Hey I own an XL and Humpty does get used..

I just happen to own 6 larges, 2 smalls and a mini, and they get used more..

You think I should have told him I cook for 300-1,500 at a time LOL
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Not me or my hat.. I tried to burn it.. :woohoo:

That is SteelerFan and he was helping me.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I don't think you're going to want to fire up an xl for most of your cooks. We have two large, a small, and a mini all used pretty much equally. -RP
  • Brazilian_Egg
    Options
    I have an XL. I love it and often use it for just my wife and I. There are ways to conserve lump on both the L and XL if that's something you're concerned with. As Photo Egg put it, it is a grilling machine. Either one you get, you won't be disappointed.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Crowding is discussed a lot in different articles. Also the ability to actually have the heat concentrated on one side at times would be a plus.

Thanks for the info.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Very important point. Make sure you get the new model. If the dealer doesn't have it then wait or go to another dealer.

GG
  • Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    Options
    i cooked 4 butts and fed 50 last weekend form my L, plus all of my accessories are for a L.....and XL is big and does not have a lot of accessories.

enjoy the Egg!
  • Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    Options
    to get 6 on a L, what are you using in place of a plate sitter? I have a spider w/ a stone, will that do the trick?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    The pictures show the whole adjustable rig with the spider..
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Don't get me wrong. I still believe we should all have at least 3 Eggs. LOL...and a Mini
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

From posts tjv has made quite a few accessories. Also, I understand BGE has a fair amount available also.

I don't have an XL but there have been some interesting comments from folks that do.

GG
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Thanks for the quick and valuable input! I can see where this question would get asked a lot. I will take the suggestion to go with a large, eggcessories, and add a small/medium in the future. :woohoo:

I cant compare the egg yet, but I can say that the ProQ, the one I am keeping, is fairly efficient and can cook a lot of food. However, this is getting more rare for me as I have grown tired of feeding the unreciprocating masses. :angry: I will be ditching the Duo as I am even more tired of buying 2 to 4 hundred dollar semi-disposable pieces of iron.

But I digress... cant wait! I love everything I have read about the BGE and the forum, support, local dealer, and eggcessories make this an easy decision for me!

Thanks again... I look forward to posting my first cook on the egg.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    I am a new Egg owner myself. We currently have three people in my home and purchased a Large Egg. Recently I was cooking for eight people for a week, graduation and all the family came to town, and the Large was more than adequate. I do not yet have an adjustable rack, but I will get one, and the standard cooking grate worked very well. Many times I had enough food going to feed 16 people on my large Egg.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    well,, if you can get the old model at a price you cant walk away from,,, you wont be disappointed, think of it as a xl at a large price.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    There is more room than most people think to go vertical

100_4053.jpg
  • Blizzard58
    Blizzard58 Posts: 35
    Options
    I'm new to eggin and can't call myself an egger yet but I'm headed that direction. I just bought a new style xl egg. First of all if you go that route egg head quarters informed me that if the fire box has a joint in it, it has the new style dome. That aside I bought the xl egg because I like to cook for at least a couple of days, and if I cook more than that I just vacuum seal and freeze for lunch or dinner for another day. I also didn't want to have to buy all the extra accessories for each egg. I do know one thing I have been a griller from way back, whether charcoal or gas, and the few meals I have cooked on the egg has been out of this world. I have never cooked on any grill that is so easy to produce a perfect meal. No matter what you deside you won't be disappointed.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I would buy the Large.Learn the ropes.Then decide. :)
  • Lazydogsaloon
    Options
    EggShen,

We are a family of 3, (Son is now in the USAF) and we have four, two large, a small and a mini and we use the small for most family meals but the other's never get lonely because it to hot to cook inside in St Pete. IMHO get the large today and save for the small, you will want it down the road.

Lazydog B)
  • zflava
    zflava Posts: 43
    Options
    I have a family of 5. First, I must agree that you can't go wrong with either choice. I must have read 100 posts regarding this subject before I made my purchase back in April of this year. I love "low and slow". I also love to lay out several burgers, hot dogs, sausage, etc...... on a larger grid. With this said, the new design XL was what I purchased.....well.....and also a medium B) based on the forum members advice about multiple eggs. I use my XL AND medium at least three times a week. I must admit that my medium is my "work horse". You would be surprised at what you can do on a medium. If you see two eggs in your near future, I would get a medium and start saving for an XL (if you like to spread out on a single grid) or Large (if the big single grid cooking doesn't move you)