Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elder Build goes out at 15 hrs.

Joder
Joder Posts: 57
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm presently cooking 2 butts totalling 15.5 lbs. I carefully built and Elder Ward fire and all was well until I started messing with the vents and lost my Tao. It went from 240 to 170 in 1.5 hrs. It was nearly out. I revived it by jiggling the grate and blowing a fan into it. [p]The temperature had been dropping from a high of 240 down to 190, so I opened the top vent from about 1/4 to about 1/2 open. It promptly went up to 240. My fatal flaw was trying to lower the temperature from 240. I closed the top vent from about 1/2 open to 1/4 open. That top vent seems to be capable of killing a fire. I think schizophrenic vent action kills a fire too. The Naked Whiz is right, leave the damn thing alone and all will be okay. [p]I am learning. I seem to have had the best luck when I keep the dome temp at about 230. The top vents should be about 1/8th open. The only adjustments should be to open the bottom vents when the temp begins to drop, as it seems to do in hours 12-24 of a low and slow.[p]One day I'll get a Guru.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Joder, look what your missing in the learning curve. Then get your guru. BTW..a wiggle rod should have been handy for quick use.
    Costs about 2 cents worth...about the value of me post.
    Smile.
    Your did good and 230 to 240 is where you should be anyway on the dome temps. stick with it.
    C~W[p]

• Joder
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks. What's a wiggle rod? Do you mean jiggling the grate? I used my ash tool for that.

• Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Good going catching it in time![p]I've found that the differential between the dome temp and the grate temp means a whole lot. If you try to maintain a 220 dome, you really only have about 170-180 on the grate. I've given up trying to maintain such a low temp, because it won't get you through the collagen plateau and will never get you to 195, no matter how long you wait. And yes, I'm Guru-less.[p]I'd shoot for maintaining a good 250-275 dome and recognize that your grate temp will be cooler. Then relax, have another long neck, and think about tomorrow's dinner.[p]Bob V
  • Joder
    Bob V,
    Exactly. Beers seem so much better sitting in front of a smoking Egg.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Joder,[p]Save yourself a lot of trouble and use the P-O-U-R method of adding lump. Just pour it in and stir and pour in some more. Avoid the bottom of the bag where the small pieces and dust are and you will be just as apt to go without a flameout as by stacking and sorting it.[p]Tim
  • Joder,
    When you are going to do a long low and slow, reach in the bag with your hands as I do and get out the lump. Place it in the fire box with your hands keeping space between the lump for air. Fill the box all the way up, light the fire and go to the sink and wash your hands. I have yet to have a fire go out or lose it's temp. My longest on one load is 27 hours and still had more to go before I shut it down. [p]Jerry

• Char-Woody
    Joder, I will e.mail you...seems they deleted the picture here.
    C~W[p]

• Joder
    Jwirlwind,
    Thanks for the tip. I do have perpetually black fingernails.
    I was careful and thought I had done just that, keeping air spaces between lumps. After reviving it, all was well.

• Char-Woody
    Jwirlwind, exactly, and its a whole lotta mo bettah fun.
    C~W[p]