Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vidalias

Options
cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally found some here. Picked up a bag of them. I'm looking for your favorite way to use these.
Thanks!!
Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Molly, peel it and core out the root and put a couple TBS of butter and a bouillon cube were you took out the root. Wrap it up in foil and cook it at 350 for about 45 minutes. -RP
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    I also core them then add evoo, seasoning of choice and some parm or blue cheese. Wrap in foil and roast. YUM!
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    Yup, what AZRP said, they are yummy. But what do I know, I eat 'em raw, like an apple. :ohmy:
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    Slice drizzle with olive oil wrap in foil & grill or egg tell tender.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Sounds great! I've got some chipolte bullion that should be tasty.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    We do the same basic thing in a cast iron cassarole dish. That way you have the juice to sop up with some toasted bread. Onions done this way do wonders to a smoked bologna samiche.

Popposam
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Now you're talking!! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Unknown
    Options
    LOL! I do the same. Used to eat bell peppers like an apple, too, but I can't eat them at all any more. Coincidence?
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Hey Molly:
    I do sweet onions in a casserole too. Just seems easier than in foil; however I’ve done that also!
    I do a mix of butter and EVOO, salt and pepper (a spice blend would be good too) with a bit of blue or feta cheese on top.
    The casserole goes on at about 300 – 350 F. covered with foil for about 30 to 40 minutes and then uncovered for another 15 to 20 minutes to brown the cheese a bit.
    Hard to go wrong!!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Slice em thick, throw into a Dutch Oven(lid off) with diced potato's, FCBP, Kosher Salt, EVOO, Butter, dash of cayenne. Serve along side a thick piece of Egged meat.
    Dang that makes me hungry. :whistle:
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    Vidalia Onion Casserole

Ingredients
    1 Package of Club Crackers
    2 Large Vidalia Onions
    4 Eggs
    1 Stick of Butter
    1 ½ Cups of Skim Milk
    1 Package of Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
    Paprika
    Salt
    Pepper

Directions:
    1. Spray 9" X 13" dish with cooking spray.
    2. Crumble pack of crackers and spread out in bottom of dish.
    3. Melt butter and pour half over crackers.
    4. Cut onion into small pieces.
    5. Sauté onions in left over butter.
    6. Spread onions evenly over crackers. Add salt and pepper to taste.
    7. Beat 4 eggs and add 1 ½ cups of skim milk together.
    8. Pour egg mixture over crackers and onions.
    9. Top with grated cheese and sprinkle with paprika.
    10. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until set.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

My Dad liked them pretty much as AZRP suggest but he would slice them in half and put a pat of butter on each half, cut side up, and crumble the bullion cube on top and microwave till tender. Must be a million ways of doing that one. They are GOOD!

My favorite is a really great French Onion Soup! Make your own real broth(s)(beef, chicken, veal, what ever floats your boat), season with a little sherry or brandy (or both ;) ), thyme, and S&P. I like a little Kitchen Bouquet in there somewhere, either when making the broths or in the final product. Float your toast and cheese on top and broil . . . but you know all that. Easiest thing in the world if you have the time and few things taste better. :cheer:

Gator

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Great post Molly! I'm keeping it for later use. :P Tim
  • Petunia
    Petunia Posts: 110
    Options
    Before you wrap them up wrap a couple strips of bacon around them. They are also good without the bouillon cube. Sprinkle with some Tastefully Simple Garlic and Dill seasoning before serving.