Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

On cooking at Eggtoberfest

Options
BigGreenDon
BigGreenDon Posts: 167
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last year was my first Eggtoberfest (where I got my egg!), and I am thinking about trying to cook at the upcoming...

I remember that there was a ceremonial "lighting of the eggs" at around 9AM or so. My question is: Are some of the eggs available starting the night before for longer cooks? I would kind of like to do a Brisket overnight, then maybe a shorter cook like a Tri-tip during the day.

Possible?

TIA,
Don

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    best to plan on short cooks as most will have to share eggs. not sure what the new location will be like but last year the eggs were not brought out until about 5 am.
  • BigGreenDon
    BigGreenDon Posts: 167
    Options
    I was afraid that would be the answer...

There was at least one person there last year with Brisket, I am sure though. Maybe it was a local who had brought it in at least partially done in a cooler or something.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    2 years ago there was someone that brought a whole pig mostly cooked.
    last year I think the ratio was something like 2 1/2 cooks per egg
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I agree with Pat, plan a short cook. If you want to share something you have perfected with long cooking, cook in advance and rewarm at the Fest, in addition to a shorter cooked item. You can rewarm brisket and butt whole before slicing/pulling.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Yea...I heard this one time this dude brought a bunch of frozen chili he had cooked a week before and just heated it up at the fest.

The chili was pretty good though. :P
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Daaang! :laugh:
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    I do not know any details of this years Eggfest in Atlanta other than what is on the the post. It would appear if you were camping and brought your Egg you could cook all you wanted. We live only about 15 miles from the raceway but if we attend I plan to have my toy hauler loaded just like we were doing a contest. I'm sure from going to previous Eggfests aaround the country that being able to camp and stay on site all weekend should produce some interesting results.

Good Friends-Good Food-Good Fun

Poppasam