Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

50+ Hours on a Medium

Options
407BGE
407BGE Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fired up my medium with a full load of fresh lump on Friday night at 6pm. Put on a butt at 7pm at 225 where it stayed until Saturday at 5pm (no peeking) when I pulled it at 195 internal. Then I forgot to unplug the Guru and left it on until I went out Sunday at noon to light the egg. I looked at the egg and thought :S "I guess I did not unplug last night" and it was keeping a rock solid 225. I put on the ribs and thought about putting on more lump but "let see if she makes it" won out. I took ribs off at 6pm and the egg was holding at 225 (it was still on the guru).

I then removed the guru and them medium jumped up to 300 where it stayed until at least 9pm. I looked at 11pm and the temp was less than 200.

So you can run it dry but cant think of many cooks that would take 50+ hours. I would think that my large would go longer but the performance was impressive.

The lump was USA Royal Oak from Walmart and there is a Rutland Gasket that form a pretty tight seal.

Comments

• FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    Very impressive. Like you mentioned, no cooks will take that long, unless you plan on back-to-back-to-back cooks. (can probably add a few more back-to-back's in there too!) :)
  • KMagnus
    KMagnus Posts: 114
    Options
    Can you give an idea about how much lump you used? Top of fire box or top of fire ring?

How much credit would you give the guru for the long/slow burn? I'm still looking to justify the cost ;)
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    KMagnus wrote:
    Can you give an idea about how much lump you used? Top of fire box or top of fire ring?

How much credit would you give the guru for the long/slow burn? I'm still looking to justify the cost ;)

It was filled to the top of the fire ring.

I don't think that the guru is responsible for such a long burn except for the fact that it would likely take more adjustments to keep at 225 dome. Plus at such a low temp the risk of the fire going out is real.

I don't think that lump usage is the reason to buy one of the power draft controllers. For me its the set it and forget it when cooking. I use mine all the time and think that for me it makes using the egg easier and hence I use it more.
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    A good story with a happy ending...nice.