Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to form

Blizzard58
Blizzard58 Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wanted to say high to all. I'm not an egg owner yet but I am very seriously considering buying one. I have a few questions. I'm thinking of buying an extra large over a large green egg. Beside the fact that the extra large has a larger cooking surfice what are the pros and cons between the 2. I'm am also thinking about putting what ever one I Buy on a nest. (I think that what it is called) How much of a danger is it of turning over? I'm sure the life time warrenty wouldn't cover breakage from over turning. Thanks upfront again for any info you can give me.

Comments

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Hello Blizzard,
    If you do a search, this is a much discussed topic. My two cents is that the large will cook more than you would think. for the the price of an XL, I would consider getting a large and then possibly adding a second egg, that gives you the option of doing different temp or types of cooks. I have 2 larges and it works out very good, very versatile combination.
    other than that I dont know much about the xl.
    either way, you are gonna love the Egg
    I have no experience with the nest.
    good luck
  • Blizzard58
    Blizzard58 Posts: 35
    thanks for the fast reply The biggest reason for looking at extra large was that even though we don't entertain large parties I do like to fill the grill up for left overers and to vacume seal and freeze some for another day My thinking I guess that it costs the same to grill 8 steaks verse 2 or 4 ect. I just didn't know if there was any benifit to the large over the extra large. I just want to make sure I get the most of my money considering the egg costs a pretty penny. On the nest issue you said you don't use one. Just curious what you do use. Thanks again for your help
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    Blizzard: I have a large, and with various accessories you'd be surprised at how much will fit in vertical fashion.

You also may consider how much lump charcoal you'll use in each. I tend to agree with fire egger's opinion on multiple Eggs. I have just the large, but adding even a small to the large would make an interesting combination depending on your needs in any given situation.

As far as the Nest, I have one under my Large which I bolted to a small but deep concrete pad I poured in an afternoon. No complaints, no movement even in significant storms and wind.

Best of luck, let us know what you end up with. Cheers, Erik
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    There must be some reason the large is the most popular size. If nothing else, there are more accessories available for the large than for any other size. If I were going to spend the $$ on an XL, I would buy a large and a small. Or, for a bit more, two large eggs.

Welcome to the madhouse!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Blizzard58, I have two large eggs. One egg is in a table and the other is in a nest. Tim ;)

000_1742.jpg
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    This question gets asked at least once per week, and the answer is invariably and overwhelmingly the same: the LG/SM combo is more versatile than the XL. I followed this advice and I am very pleased with my decision. I have a family of four, and I use them nearly equally - actually, the small a bit more.

All that being said, I do not have an XL, so my opinion is one-sided. The most valuable comments are from those who have all the sizes (yes, there are a few that do).

Good luck - you will be pleased with either option.