Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Grouper w/ Vidalia Onions & Peppers

Options
Goody
Goody Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, decided to experiment and do something new. Found some grouper fillets at the Ny York Butcher Shop. Rubbed them with EVO and Louzziane Cajun Seasoning. Rubbed the vidalia onions in EVO and Montreal Seasoning. Did a red orange and yellow bell pepper just as off the produce shelf. Had a mixture of BGE Lump as well as tried mixing in some Ono wood i picked up at the Barbecues Galore across the street from my house. It added a luau islandy smell and flavor. Don't think I will use it as my primary lump, but not bad as an accent once in a while. Started the lump and as the egg got to 200 on the way to 300 I went ahead and put the peppers and onions on to get a head start. Once the egg settled at 300 I put the grouper on and did 2 min a side to get them seared. Then did about another 2-3 min per side. All tasted pretty good, wife really liked it so that was good. I think she is coming around and liking more and more about the egg each time I cook. Maybe that means I am that much closer to expanding the egg family. Would really like a 2nd large to do multiple temp cooks simultaneously!

The raws

DSC_0001_3.jpg

After the flip

DSC_0002_2.jpg

Done and ready to serve

DSC_0004.jpg

I thought it was pretty good. The onion tasted really flavorful with a touch of sweet with the vidalias. The peppers were a little plain. Anyone have any suggestions for next time?

Comments

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Goody, that is some delicious looking grouper you cooked up! :) Grouper is one of my favorite fish.

In regard to the peppers, I would suggest placing a little bit of EVOO on them and grilling them until the skins blacken, then toss the pappers with skin removed with some sliced grilled onions and add some basalmic vinegar, S&P. You could also add some corn (perhaps roasted) or edamame.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Goody,

What Rebecca said. If you get the egg to lava temps peppers roast in a couple of minutes. The skins come off easily and the flesh still has some texture.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I love grouper myself and yours looks delish. Tim :P