Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Question

Options
fishnrust
fishnrust Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All, I have not had much luck w/briskets.They come out either tuff and chewy, yet still moist and juicy OR extremely dry yet relatively tender. What is the magical internal temp needed for a falling apart tender brisket that is still juicy??????

Comments

• texasAUtiger
    texasAUtiger Posts: 154
    Options
    Be sure to calibrate your thermometer! My brand new egg was 50 degrees off!

Then, try this...

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=897309&catid=1

Good luck!
  • NU2BBQ
    NU2BBQ Posts: 98
    Options
    I pulled mine at 190', it was 14lbs and went 18.25 hours. I had to set it aside for 8 hours wrapped in foil and a towel placed in an insulated container. I then reheated it still wrapped in foil for 2 hours till it got to 195'. It was tender, juicy and you could cut it with a fork. I did use a liquid filled drip pan to maintain moisture. This was only the third brisket I have done and was by far the best one yet. Read the posts here regarding brisket and keep notes on what works for you.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Brisket has no magical done temperature. They are all different.

Some are perfect at 182-185 and some have to go to 200 or even higher to be good.

Once it hits 180 or so start checking for tenderness. I use a fork, but anything similar will work. Once a majority of the brisket is tender (more like poking a marshmallow than shoe leather) take it off, wrap it tightly, and let it rest at least 30 minutes. An hour is better.

Unfortunately, this is just one of those things that takes experience to really know what you are looking for. If you have someone nearby that has cooked a few briskets then ask them to have you hang around next time and get a feel for what tender is like. The window between tough and dry is only a few degrees. If you pull it early it won't be right, and if you go too far there is no coming back.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    If it's falling apart it's over cooked. A properly cooked brisket slice should be able to stretch if pulled end to end without breaking.

Try foiling in the plateau and add liquid like beef broth.