Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Old Solid Copper Mixing Bowls

ArvadaMan
ArvadaMan Posts: 260
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was in the local thrift shop yesterday and came across an old set of solid copper mixing bowls for $12.00.

I would like to clean the tarnish off and put them to use in my kitchen. Any suggestions about cleaning off the tarnish?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Barkeeper's Friend. Sort of like Bon Ami except it works! Great for stainless too.

PS: Bed Bath & Beyond has it if u can't find it in your grocery store.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    I've had good results with a vinegar and salt paste. And for real, try a spot with ketchup. Either takes some time depending on the patina.
  • Slingblade
    Slingblade Posts: 28
    Not sure if it will work, but Coca Cola has many, many uses.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    As misfit said, Ketchup may do the trick.
    There is a comercial product called "Never Dull" that is sold in auto and marine supply outlets, It is a non-abrasive brass cleaner, should work on copper too. B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Barkeepers Friend will clean them up nicely. I'd be careful using them for cooking, however. Copper reacts in nasty unhealthy ways with a number of foods. The only real use for an unlined copper bowl in a kitchen is whipping egg whites. (Copper lined with stainless or, more traditionally, tin, is another story. It makes wonderfully responsive cookware. I have and use a lot of it.)