Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork - The Finale

Options
AbqEgg'r
AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd like to say thank you to all the Eggsperts that take their time to answer questions on this forum, post recipes, and even keep provate BBQ web sites up to date.[p]As for the pulled pork..I don't even have to tell Eggr's how it was, it was wonderful. Took me right back to Rocky Mount. Besides the help available here, I've decided that the BGE is terribly forgiving and can make a chef out of someone who's not. [p]22 hours for a 7lb butt. Seems like a lot of time, but it was with a very slow warm up getting maximum smoke as recommended by Elder Ward. The only problem I had was keeping the temp down when I opened up the bottom vent to finish things up. Temp shot thru 350 like it wasn't even there. I have an amazing amount of lump left. Think I could go another 20 hours easy.[p]My one remaining question (today) is why 200 degrees internal? Although not overcooked, I would think the pork would be more moist at 190-195 degrees. Comments?[p]Gfw - No more stupid questions about the dark part. My wife (she of little faith) took one look at the butt when I brought it in and said "I think maybe we'll be cooking steaks". That was before we tasted it. Now I want to cut the butt up into more pieces..hence more outside to char![p]Your BBQ sauce went over big, thanks! I didn't find the gloves useful for pulling, but they were nice handling the hot stuff. Next I need to experiment with mustard and rubs. Bought the stuff for JJ's today, it seems to be one of the most popular.[p]Thanks again to all.[p]TR[p]

Comments

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    AbqEgg'r,
    JJ's rub is the best I've had. Placed over a healthy slathering of cheap yellow mustard, it can't be beat.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    AbqEgg'r,
    200 internal seems to be a good "average" number for very pullable pork. Every piece of meat is different though, and, like a brisket, can be done as early as 185. A fork test will give you an idea if it is tender enough for pulling. In theory 180 is better for slicing, and 200 better for pulling.[p]You will enjoy JJ's rub. It is unique, and full of flavors. Compliments meat nicely, and you won't believe how well it goes with thin sliced grilled potatoes (can't forget about that one).[p]Congrats on your successful butt.
    Cheers.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    AbqEgg'r,[p] I've never cooked a butt or picnic to 200F. The one I did for Eggfest was cooked to 185 internal, then placed in foil for about 2 hours (the time it took for me to drive it to Waldorf and serve it for breakfast). As NB said, each piece of meat is different so you kinda have to roll with it. Sorry the gloves didn't help you in pulling the pork. I find it easier to use them than the forks, unless I want lots of very little pieces (I like my PP a little chunky). However, the gloves definitely make it easier to handle big pieces of meat on the BGE.[p]MikeO
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    AbqEgg'r,[p]CONGRATULATIONS on the Butt and thanks for the detail of the cook. I always find it interesting to read times, temps etc. of how others cooks progress. I love the egg 'cause it lets me put something in it and essentially forget about it until I need to take it off. But, half the fun of it is tracking the progress (the other half is eating it). Mucho Gracias to you.[p]Troy
  • AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Options
    MikeO,
    Like you said, there are definite uses for the gloves and I don't regret getting them. As for pulling with them, I've decided the problem is my lack of experience and practice. Guess I'll be forced to cook pulled pork until I get it right. :)))