Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt times question.

DryFly
DryFly Posts: 351
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing 2-6+ lb boneless butts for my granddaughter's 2nd birthday party on saturday. My question is, is the time 12+ X 1 1/2 hrs @ 225 deg considering the whole weight or is it something less since they are 2 separate, 6+ lb pieces if meat ?? It would seem to me that the smaller the pieces the quicker the cook at a constant temperature, but I have no idea.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    1 butt 2butts 3 butts all cook in the same time and the time per pound rule only works for an average sized butt :laugh: i would figure 12 to 16 hours depending on your setup
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    You would not double the cooking time since they are seperate pieces of meat, however make sure you cook to temp not time! 1 1/2 to 2 hr per pound is a guideline. I usually take mine off at 200 and wrap in foil, towel into cooler and let rest for up to 4 hours.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    It should take roughly the same amount of time as 1 butt as long as the two pieces of meat are kept separate. You might anticipate a slightly longer time since it is going to take the cooker a bit longer to recover when you put 2 big cold pieces of meat in there vs. 1. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    I am doing a butt right now, put it on at 8 a.m. and it is holding at 164 F, it has a long way to go yet.
    Good Luck and Bon Appetit.
    Willie
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351