Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get mini egg hot

Options
gmoore
gmoore Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought a mini-egg to supplement my EggAddiction...

No matter what I do I can't get the temp above 400 degrees. Any suggestions out there?

-gary

Comments

• RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    As long as I keep the ash cleaned out, including around the fire box, and everything is lined up properly, my mini gets up to about 675 degrees max. If you're doing that as well I'm stumped.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    take out the fire ring and fire box ,, make sure it is clean of ash .. put it back together being sure that the lower vent is lined up with the air inlet of the firebox. dump lump into it up to the fire ring and light it up. if that does not work please come back with specifics what type of lump etc and pics,, i have the opposite problem with mine ,, i wander off with a glass of wine and come back to find 500 when i wanted 350
    bill
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    First, check your temp gauge. I had the same problem. Gauge was ok, but found I must start with an absolutely clean Egg with good, fresh, dry lump. This was the key. No problems since. It also helps if there is some air flow.

Mike
  • Eggular
    Eggular Posts: 15
    Options
    Not to highjack but you may be able to answer a question for me. I purchased a mini from Tucker today and opened it up to find no daisy wheel or food grid. I was given two boxes. Did you have 3 boxes when you purchased? I had to leave message at the store and still have not heard back. Thanks.
  • Unknown
    Options
    what happens when you wander off with a glass of vodka, 750? :laugh: :laugh:
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    I bought mine at Tucker a couple of yrs ago and it came with daisy wheel and grid. Sounds like they missed giving you a third box. :(
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i don't konw by the time i find my way home the fire is out :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    When he gets back, he finds the bottom half of his Mini sitting on the ground - the top half still in the stand. :whistle:B)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Not saying you need to do this but I got some extra air flow going with a raised grate, a solid 1/8" extra space at the radius by attaching stainless bolts. The grate does not touch the walls of the firebox at all.
    I also build my lump making sure the grate holes are not blocked. I'm a fire nut and proud of it. :lol:
    BGEminisetup0008.jpg

BGEminisetup0006.jpg

I did not have any problem getting up to temp with my mini before my modifications. Just thought I'd share. As others have said, a clean firebox, good lump and unrestricted air flow will get you a hot fire every time.

BGECWMQuickRibs0007.jpg
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    You're welcome. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    With a clean Mini and making sure the air flow is not blocked my Mini easily hits 750*.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I really did laugh out loud at that one,, scared the dogs :P
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    that was good ,, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: thanks for the laugh i needed one,.
    bill
  • gmoore
    gmoore Posts: 5
    Options
    thanks everybody...i'll have another go tomorrow night with all the suggestions...

-g
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    You are welcome too. :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mrdnks
    mrdnks Posts: 67
    Options
    The new mini comes in three boxes, the ceramic, the new hinge, and a third box with all the other. I had the same problem with missing parts.