Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome thermometer

Babyray
Babyray Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does the clamp that comes with the BGE dome thermometer fit on the outside of the egg or on the inside of the egg? Thanks. Ray

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Babyray,
    Outside.

• Babyray,
    It is supposed to go on the inside, but some folks have taken to putting them on the outside to keep the stem of the thermometer from penetrating too far into the egg and touching the food. Personally, I've stopped using them. I don't see a need to keep it clamped in place and they can be a b*tch to remove if you let a lot of crud build up on them and the stem. I just insert the thermometer in the hole and leave it like that. If you are really concerned about the length of the stem, then you can buy some thermometers from Tel-Tru that have 2.5 inch stems. These appear to be very good thermometers and worth the money. ($19).[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Rodan
    Rodan Posts: 32
    Babyray,
    I wouldn't bother to use it. I don't think there is any danger of it falling out.[p]A quick trick is to turn the thermometer so that the temp you want is at the top of the dial. That way you can check your temp from a distance. When the needle is straight up, you're @ temp. Works great.

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    The Naked Whiz,
    I agree with you. I have both the 5 and 21/2 stems/probes; however I also use a wine cork cut in to on the outside of the egg as well to keep the temp guage off the egg. It gets a better reading in my opinion.
    Hammer