Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buffalo Wings

Spin
Spin Posts: 1,375
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,[p]I just finished a plate of the very best wings I have ever eaten (let alone cooked). I used the marinade recipe suggested by KennyG. I cooked them directly on the grill at 250F for 60 minutes, flipping every 10 minutes. On the first two flips, I brushed them with the remaining marinade.[p]The wings were great alone, flavorful but mild - just begging for some sauce. Bleu cheese dressing only added to the blend. The Original Anchor Bar wing sauce was the topper. This is some good wing sauce.[p]Many thanks to KennyG for the marinade and a special thanks to BBQfan1 for obtaining and then giving me two bottles of the sauce. It is much appreciated.[p]Spin

Comments

• Doug
    Doug Posts: 132
    Spin, sounds fanastic. Where can I find Kenny G's marinade recipe and where can I find Original Anchor Bary wing sauce. I'm up here in the country of Maine. Not many people around here know another about great wings!!. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Spin,[p]Sounds goooooooooooooood. As you may have noticed, I've gone wing crazy and am almost out of the sweet, sweet nectar that is the Anchor Bar sauce. I love this one local wing place but I've honestly not recently thought of them since I started getting big into wing production on the BGE.[p]And since we're talking about hot sauces and since you're the king o' pizza on the BGE, do you know what tastes wonderful (at least to me) on pizza? Hot sauce! Dunno if the Anchor stuff would be good since it's more of a wing sauce, but I often season my purchased pizza with whatever hot sauce I have in my fridge.[p]Cornfed
  • AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Cornfed,
    Is "Anchor Bar sauce" a commercial sauce, or is there a recipe to be found?[p]TR

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Doug,[p]I appreciate a wing/sauce combination that is flavorful and has the necessary heat. Most wings have too much heat and this detracts from the experience, IMHO. This combination is excellent.[p]The marinade recipe can be found at: http://www.bbqsearch.com/search/14087.shtm[p]The sauce can be obtained thru: http://www.originalhotwings.com/[p]Spin
  • Cornfed
    AbqEgg'r,[p]This is a sauce produced by the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY. This place is often credited with "inventing" the buffalo wing as we now know it. The sauce is available for sale from the bar itself in Buffalo, you can "clone" the sauce with recipes and techniques provided by some of the gurus on this forum, you can wait til Eggtoberfest or E2K+1 and hope BBQfan1 generously brings some more, or you can purchase it online from places like this.[p]This gift pack looks pretty attractive to me since you get three levels of hotness (and three levels of goodness!).[p]Cornfed
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed,[p]Just noticed that Mr. Spin posted a different link to the Anchor Bar hot sauce. Here it is again in case you missed it.[p]
    Cornfed

• AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Cornfed,
    Thanks for all. Will start with the regular temp and work up :)

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Spin,[p]I'll have to go find that marinade you refer to from KennyG - not sure if I have seen that yet. I have those two bottles of Original Anchor Bar wing sauce that BBQFan1 brought down just waiting for some wings. I was going to try the CheifRD wings with the sauce on them when finished - what do you think. Where do I find KennyG's method?? [p]Tim
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Tim M,
    I found this on another Forum,i might give them a try tonight.
    YB[p]
    Hi Guys,[p]Give this one a shot:[p]What is unique about this recipe is that you use the whole wing and do not have to cut them into
    "buffalo" pieces and you don't deep fry. Courtesy of the Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Library "Grilling"
    Cookbook: [p]The Marinade
    1 cup cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
    1 tablespoon Tabasco or your favorite hot sauce[p]4 lbs chicken wings (about 24) Buy the biggest and best you can find[p]Combine all ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl and stir thoroughly. Place the chicken wings in a large plastic food
    storage bag and pour in the marinade. Press out the air and seal the bag tightly. Massage
    the bag gently to distribute the marinade. Set in a large bowl and refrigerate for several hours
    (best overnight) massaging the bag occasionally. [p]Prepare a MEDIUM fire in your grill. Position an oiled grill rack 4-6 inches above the coals or lava rocks.
    Remove the wings from the marinade, shake off the excess and arrange on grill rack. Grill, turning
    frequently and brushing with the reserved marinade. About 25 to 30 minutes should do it until the skin
    starts to char. [p]Don't let the marinade ingredients fool you. These finished wings will be superb but only mildly hot.
    You may want to have a couple of bottles of hot sauce available when you serve them.[p]Enjoy and let me know what you think[p]K~G

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Tim M,[p]YB has provided it for you. I posted this recipes on Basso's forum a couple of years ago and have received accolades from all over the world. I guess that makes even a lowlife like me internationally famous hehehe[p]K~G

• Doug
    Doug Posts: 132
    Spin, thanks very much. Got it! Ya, I agree with the flavor plus heat. Heat is one thing....but flavor with just the right amount of heat is someting else altogether. Anyone can produce the heat. The flavor is the challenge. I'm always looking for the ultimate in flavor/heat. Thanks for the post.