Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish taco sauce please help

aircowboy
aircowboy Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone I am going to make some fish tacos but would like to use a killer tangy white sauce and was wondering if anyone has any ideas? I was imagining something like the sauce used at baja fresh on their fish tacos? Anyone have a favorite recipe? Thanks

Comments

• Santana
    Santana Posts: 58
    I'm wondering if my Ponchartrain Sauce that I use on fish would be good. I think it has all of your requirements in it.

1 tablespoon Seafood Magic, or blackened seasoning
    4 tablespoons Butter, room temperature
    ½ cup Mushrooms, sliced
    ¼ cup Wine, dry white
    1 cup Cream, heavy
    ½ cup Shrimp, or more
    ¼ cup Parsley, chopped
    1 bunch Scallions
    1 clove Garlic, finely chopped
    4 tablespoons Butter

Heat a skillet and add 1 tablespoon of Seafood Magic (or blackened seasoning). Add 4 tablespoons of room temperature butter (remove skillet from direct heat to keep butter from burning) and melt. Return to skillet to medium heat, Add 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms and brown. Add 1/4 Cup of dry or semi sweet white wine to deglaze pan. Add 1 cup of heavy cream and reduce until thick. Add 1/2 cup (or more) of medium shrimp (or if you have larger shrimp, dice them in 3 pieces), 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley, 1 bunch of scallions (with tops) and cook until shrimp are pink. When shrimp are cooked, add 1 clove of finely chopped garlic and whisk in 4 tablespoons of room temperature butter. Let simmer (but don't let butter separate) for a couple of minutes. Spoon over fish (and, it ain't bad over the rice, either).

ponchartrain.jpg
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    This is how I do it. -RP

Fish Tacos

Sauce

½ cup milk
    1 cup mayonnaise
    2 cloves garlic
    ¼ cup cilantro packed
    ½ tsp chipotle powder (use chile powder if you can’t find this)
    ½ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp pepper

Put ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

Fish

All purpose flour
    Beer
    Cod fish fillets
    Small flour tortillas
    Crumbled queso fresco cheese
    Finely shredded cabbage
    Limes
    Salt & pepper
    Oil for frying

In a bowl whisk the beer, flour, salt, and pepper into the consistency of a slightly thin pancake batter. Let batter sit 30 minutes. Cut the fillets into 1”-1 ½” bite sized chunks and add to the batter. Heat oil to 350 and with some tongs drop the chunks in one at a time to prevent them from sticking together. Work in small batches to keep from cooling off the oil. Fry until golden and remove to paper towels, sprinkle with salt while still hot. To assemble the taco, set several chunks of fish across the center of the tortilla, cover with cheese and cabbage. Spoon on some sauce and a squeeze of lime juice. Fold the sides of the tortilla up into the taco shape and enjoy.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    mayo, cumin, pace picante, some ranch dressing, mix and eat
  • Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    this has become on of my most popular dishes to serve....that sauce ROCKS
  • Santana
    Santana Posts: 58
    Thanks, M.T. I'm really glad you like it. I think you also liked the Margarita Butter and the Penzy's Mural of Flavor greens that I gave you. We have the same tastes :)
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
  • Have you tried them all, Lawn Ranger?
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    thanks for posting that Randy...I've been thinking about trying these lately and knew you had made them but wasnt sure about a recipe...may try these this weekend!
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Nope. Tried what I tried and that I can recommend. I'm sure that they are all very good, and that I would like them all given the opportunity. Thank you for pointing out my prejudice.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Worked for me. :laugh:-RP
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Buckin' for a job at the UN Lawn? That was quite the diplomatic response.

I would not have handled it so delicately.