Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's Dinner - Bulgogi

WhackMaster719
WhackMaster719 Posts: 307
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I really love bulgogi, this stuff is GREAT. It is basically the main beef staples of Korea. Always done it on the gasser or in a electric skillet, but decided to try it on the egg... WOW! The beef was juicy and the marinade caramelized perfectly!!! :woohoo:

Marinated for 24 hours in the fridge, egged direct on a raised grid in a "grill wok".

IMG_6028.jpg

IMG_6029.jpg

Had the egg preheated to 550, it dropped a little when the cold meat went in, but came right back up:
IMG_6031.jpg

Opened the lid every 5 minutes or so to stir it around:
IMG_6033.jpg

Plated up with some homemade fried rice :evil: :
IMG_6034.jpg

Comments

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Greg, I love bulgogi. Indeed, you did get some nice carmelization of the meat. Enjoy! :)
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Yummmmmy.
    The grill wok is a great idea!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    EGGcelent meal.

Rebecca cooked a korean dish at the after party Sunshine Fest that was to die for. My friend and I even took some to the hotel room and heated it up in the AM with bloody mary's.

Beef, Short Ribs, Korean BBQ Short Ribs, Eenie Meenie

INGREDIENTS:
    4 lbs Meaty Beef Short Ribs (bone in or 2 1/2 lbs., boneless)
    Beef Short Rib Marinade (see recipe below)
    Bean & Pepper Smearing Sauce (see recipe below)
    Lettuce (preferably Bibb or Boston, separated into leaves)
    Rice
    Kimchi, buy whatever type(s) you prefer
    Bean & Pepper Smearing Sauce :
    8 Tbs Korean Soy Fermented Bean Paste
    5 T% Korean Fermented Red Pepper Paste
    4 tsp finely minced Garlic
    4 Tbs Sweetened Rice Vinegar
    2 Tbs Roasted Sesame Seeds
    2 tsp Sesame Seed Oil
    Beef Marinade :
    15 Cloves Peeled and mashed Garlic
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped Ginger
    1 bunch of Scallions, cut into thirds
    6 or more chopped Green Chile Peppers
    1 coarsely chopped medium Onion
    2 ripe Asian Pears (may use other pears)
    1 cup Soy Sauce
    1/2 cup sweet Rice Wine
    1 tsp Honey
    1 Tbs Black Peppercorns

PROCEDURE:
    1 Mix all the ingredients together. This will look and smell gross, but hang in there.
    Beef Short Ribs :
    1 You may prepare the ribs by one of three ways :
    Haeundae Cut:
    1 In which you tributterfly the meat of a single English cut short rib while attached to the bone. You will wind up with about a 4 to 5 inch long strip of very thin meat that is about 2 inches wide, attached to the bone. (There is a description of this in Steve Raichlen’s book, The BBQ Bible, 1998, page 147). Score the meat with the back of your chef’s knife.
    2 Buy “L.A.” or Korean style or flanken style from a Korean grocer. These are 3 short ribs cut crosswise about 1/4 inch thick. The problem with buying these in a Korean grocery is that they can sometimes be very chewy because they are not choice or prime. However, they are a no brainer to prepare.
    Cooks Illustrated Method :
    1 Take an English cut section of short ribs and cut the outside thick, dense fat and silver off. Then cut the beef off of the bone. Slice this chunk of meat on a sharp diagonal to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick to obtain about 4 pieces of meat. Pound these pieces of meat to 1/4 inch thick. I would then score them with the back of my knife to optimize the marinating process.
    Beef Marinade :
    1 Combine the marinade ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 3 hours. Cool. Place all of the marinade contents into a food processor and puree until smooth.
    2 Pour the marinade over the meat (remember to score the meat by hitting it with the back of your knife) and rub into the meat. Refrigerate overnight.
    3 Set up egg to grill over very high heat. Oil the grid. Place the meat on the hot grid.
    4 Do not remove the marinade. Quickly sear the meat on both sides until somewhat charred on the outside, but pink on the inside (may have to flip repeatedly). If cooking the Haeundae Cut, you can cut the bone off before or after grilling (only the lucky get to nibble the bone). The Koreans usually use scissors to cut the meat off the bone when it is done and to cut into pieces. If using the Cooks Illustrated method, you might want to skewer the meat so it does not fall between the grid. In addition, it grills so quickly, it allows for quicker flipping.
    To assemble :
    1 Take a lettuce leaf (if too large, split in half) and smear on some Bean & Pepper smearing sauce. Then place some kimchi, then some rice, a piece of short rib and fold the lettuce leaf over like a mini Korean burrito.

Yield: Serves four.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Beef, Main Dish

Cooking Tips
    Rice: Sushi or medium grain sticky rice preferred (but not necessary) Kokuho Rose
    is a good brand that is widely available. Prepare as recommended on the rice bag or
    your rice cooker (I use the prewashed, sushi setting). 1 cup of raw rice.

Recipe Source
    Author: Rebecca Paessun

Source: Sunshine State Fest '10, Eenie Meenie, 2010/03/13
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Can you share the recipe? An Army buddy of mine was married to a korean woman and she made the best bulgogi I ever had.

Been trying to replicate it off and on for years. Would love to try yours.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I actually SAW her cook those ribs with my own eyes. :blink: She mastered the flames. I was impressed...big time. She loves the heat.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Beautiful meal Whacky! ;)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    You are part Italian. :)

Mike
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Here is mine. I got it from a Korean woman I worked with. We served it often. It's awesome!

Korean BBQ (Bulgogi or Khalbi)

11/2 pounds of meat (pork, flank, or 4 lbs. short ribs) Slice meat against the grain into 1/4 in. thickness.

1T sesame seeeds, toasted and pulverized
    3 cloves garlic minced
    1/4c light soy sauce
    1t sugar
    1T honey
    1T asian sesame oiil
    1t red chili flakes
    1t grated fresh ginger
    2 stalks of green onions, thinly chopped
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Man I love bulgogi, and my two teenage daughters like it even better than I. When I've traveled to Seoul the bulgogi was usually served with sesame leaves to wrap the meat in. I can get the sesame leaves at Super H Mart nearby. YUM :cheer:

BGE005-2.jpg
  • Using any sort of chile pepper or red pepper flakes seems odd to me in a bulgogi marinade?

Also, I noticed someone in the replies mentioned bulgogi/kalbi as if they are the same thing. While the biggest difference is the cut of meat, there is a difference even in the marinades. They use the same ingredients but in different ratios.

Bulgogi is sweeter than Kalbi.

I also noticed that the first recipe says "Asian pear". The authentic recipe actually uses "Korean pears". Yes, there is actually a huge difference. If Korean pears aren't in season, you can find a fruit drink in H-Mart that is made from pears (although you'll have to reduce the amount of sugar you use because i think the juice has more sugar than natural korean pear.

Lastly, if you can't get Korean Pear....we sometimes cheat with 7-up... The purpose of the Korean Pear or 7-up, is they act as tenderizers.
  • Fidel/All Here is the recipe I use. We used to live in Seol and this is the way our house keeper made it... Hope it is close to what you had:

1.5. Rib Eye (trimmed, sliced thin, then in strips)
    4 Tbl Soy Sauce
    1/2 Cup Sugar
    2 T Garlic
    4 Tsp Asian Sesame Oil
    4 Tsp Mirin
    4 Tsp Water
    1 Bunch of Scallions (chopped)

Combine everything but beef in a bowl. Pour marinade into large freezer bag, add beef and refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally. It is very simple, but produces fantastic flavor. Sometimes we try to "overdue" recipes here in the U.S. :whistle:
  • Molly, that looks good. I will have to try that one too!