Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

skewered Chicken Hearts

gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
HeartSkewers.jpg

Just a shot of some marinated chicken hearts I made last night. I cleaned them as best I could, removing the artery, washed them well, and the brined for 4 hours in a salt, sugar, and herb mix. The marinated for 2 hours in a mix of port, sherry vinegar, oil, and lemon grass. Direct, dome around 300 for about 25 - 30 minutes. Each was bite sized, and were reasonably tastey, with just a bit of chew left. With a little more work, would make a good hors d’oeuvres.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Good idea. Next time add some gizzards and i'm in.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gdenby
    Made some stock from gizzards and hearts last week. Turned out very good. Rich and thick. Even the boiled pieces were still good to eat. So, when I saw the big pile of hearts at the market, had to get some just for the taste.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Interesting..... Would it be possible to stuff them?
  • gdenby
    I think so. The chamber on some of them might have held something about as big as a grape. Once cooked, they shrink some, but some pepper and cheese mash could probably be crammed in. Or, conceivably, put a dab of spicy stuffing in them, and let them shrink around it. Or maybe the stuffing might make them explode :ohmy: while cooking. Must experiment before preparing them for guests.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Going to work on that as well. Love gizzards and hearts.
    I think you are on to something.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Looks great but my weakness are livers. Never tried them on the egg yet :)
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Looks tasty. Good idea. :)
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    These are standard fare at Brazilian rodizio, and were among my favorites when I ate at one. I think I must have eaten a pound of them before I asked what they were...by then it was too late to mind. Great stuff, gdenby.