Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large or XL for 1st timer?

Fornia
Fornia Posts: 451
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've looked through past threads and could not hit my specific question. If I overlooked the answer, I do apologize. I am happy to be a part of this forum and look forward to contributing when the opportunity arises.

After years of pondering, I'm finally ready to buy and enjoy an Egg. Went to an EggFest this past weekend...done deal, I'm sold.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the decision between a Large or an XL Egg.

I have a family of 4 and we do often host with anywhere from 8-24 total people. We cook on the grill though the entire year here in PA. Yes, I shovel out the grill after the driveway. :)

Normally, I'd be grilling for 4 of us...but I'm also going to want to do Butts, Brisket, and Ribs on low and slows on the weekend. Will an XL be alright for doing maybe 2 6-8lb. Butts? I realize it's size is better suited for more, and I'll likely take advantage...but not all the time I'd imagine.

I'm VERY interested in smoking and BBQ in general...but embarassingly, I've done this with a nice gas grill and an inexpensive charcoal grill. I've not touched the gas grill since last July...I just love the taste and aspect of charcoal and wood chips for smoking. I have a real passion for cooking and food in general...and the grill is where I feel I can combine the ingredient with the cooking element. Modestly, friends and family rave about my food on the grill...but I can't stop thinking how much better it would be on an Egg! That said, I'm ready and eager to get one and start learning!

SORRY....for being long. I wanted to get things out in one shot (hopefully). You are the experts...I'm just asking for a little guidance. I do very much appreciate any and all help!

Who knows....my first BGE dinner photo on the forum might come this weekend! ;)

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I recommend a Large. You can easily do 3 8lb butts at once.
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Thanks Bacchus...Curious, is that with an additional grid?

Somehow in my rambling, I forgot to mention that the Egg will be my only grill once I purchase it. Just figured I'd mention it as well for the thoughts on Large vs. XL.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    I have a family of 5 and was pondering the same ??? before I bought. The dealer said unless I cook fer a BUNCH of people all the time the large would do it. The XL uses more coal, and takes longer to heat up... I've cooked 6 large steaks w/ room to spare....4 racks of ribs w/ 6 baked taters.... I suggest the large too!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • jmac
    jmac Posts: 2
    I also have a family of four and have been using a weber kettle for the past 20 yrs, 22 in grate. At times when entertaining it was'nt big enough. Today I brought home an xl bge and made ny strips they turned out quite well. The xl is quite a bit bigger but it won't get moved much hope i made the right choice.
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Large is plenty big enough for up to 20. Grill extenders and some creative racking and you can get about 40# on meat on your large at once and it uses much less lump.
  • Bacchus
    Yes, 3 easily on 1 grid. Standard setup.

You will also be buying a Small or Mini, you just don't know it yet. :)
  • LImp Brisket
    LImp Brisket Posts: 115
    I got my XLBGE about a week ago. I wish they made a bigger one!
  • KMagnus
    KMagnus Posts: 114
    Deciding on the large or XL was a decision I had to make less than a year ago. Needless to say, getting firsthand feedback ended up swaying me into choosing the large over the XL.

This was mainly for a couple of reasons:
    1. In the event I'd need the extra space of the XL, I could use a grill extender and/or racks designed for whatever I was cooking to help use the vertical space available due the dome design.

2. There will be accessories and optional equipment you'll definitely want to get. It didn't take long for my 'wish' list to approach $500-$600. Taking these additional cost into account helped pave the way to understanding total cost versus benefit.

I haven't pushed the limits of my large by any stretch of the imagination, but I have been able to comfortably cook (is separate instances of course): 12-16 NY Strips, 2 6-8 lb Boston Butts, 3 slabs St. Louis style ribs, 6 slabs of Baby Back ribs, 22 lb turkey, 12 lb pork loin.

I'm also in agreement with Bacchus. I said whatever I got would be my only grill (trying to talk myself into the XL), but I'm already starting to think about a Medium ;-0
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Large. Go to some of the blogs people have here and you see larges cooking TONS of recipes and in crazy proportions. Save the money and put it into some eggcessories.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Pilcher Man
    Pilcher Man Posts: 87
    If you can afford it, get the XL. If you need the extra room when cooking for a crowd, or for cooking large pieces of meat, the XL is the way to go. You can buy a metal reducing ring to save charcoal on smaller cooks or you can do as I did and cut one out of a 15" ss beer keg (make it 4" tall). I've had mine a year now and I love it. No regrets. I've read about several folks who bought a large egg and quickly figured out that they needed more cooking capacity soon after. Accessories can come one at a time. B)
  • ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    I also made the choice of a Large over a XL. I was in a similar situation as you and I entertain quite a bit. If you need more space than a Large can hold with a rack extender then you need a caterer :laugh:. Take the money you save and get eggcessories! And yes I only wish I had another one so I can do two different types of cooks at once! Would love to bake at same time as smoke, saving for a med. ;)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    This is a pre-recorded message:

I often hear that the large does not have the capacity to cook for a large family.

Let me tell you that is a lot of bull. When my family gets together we are typically 20+. My XL sits there and wishes I would use him.

So here is my proof:

Please note the amount of sausage on this egg:
    IMG_8030-020.jpg

6 7-9 pound butts on this egg:

IMG_8055-033.jpg

Just for contrast please note the amount of meat on this Lang 60:

IMG_8059-035.jpg

I cooked 18 butts on 3 eggs and took up less space.
    (36 on 6 large eggs)

My XL gets used when I cater and even then it's only used for something that may not physically fit on my large eggs and can't be cut into smaller chunks.

You will NOT be disappointed with the Egg, unless you fail to learn how to use it or don't use it. Many of us use it as our primary cooking source year round.
  • vohsmk
    vohsmk Posts: 40
    We bought the XL in February of this year and like you debated over Large vs XL. Our reasoning for the getting the bigger egg was simple we like to cook and my husband wanted the space to move food around without feeling cramped for space on the egg. I am already thinking about another egg even though we have the XL. I have cooked a 10lb turkey with a lot of room to hold potatoes and some veggies. Good luck in whatever you purchase, you are making the right decision to buy an egg. B)
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    You really think so? I was cooking for 10 people over the weekend and I almost ran out of cooking surface on my XL and I had a grill extender grate that I made for a second level to place food.

Granted the rib slabs took up a lot of room, but I couldn't see cooking for twenty people even on the XL unless it was just cuts of meat.
  • zflava
    zflava Posts: 43
    First off, I debated and searched the forum for guidance on Large vs. XL and I came to the conclusion that you can't go wrong with either size. I decided to go with the XL and a medium because I got a deal on both for a total of $1,218 using a coupon at Offenbachers. My reason for going with the XL was that I wanted to have the option to cook large amounts of burgers, steaks, hot dogs, etc.... using direct grilling on the main grid for large crowds, even though I do more low and slow cooking most of the time. For the money I'm spending, I'd rather have the extra space for the few times of year that I need it. My XL heats up fast and locks in temps fast. I got the medium because of the advice on the forum regarding the versatility of two eggs. The extra lump required for the XL wasn't a big deal because of the efficiency of the Egg. If you have the funds and don't mind a little extra lump, go with the XL and look to get a second egg when you can. I'm still learning from the pros on this forum!
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    For once a good write-up for the XL. I too have an XL. I know a lot of people will say go Large and you can cook lots on it but when you need extra space at times, you know you have. There are accessories for the XL as there are for the Large.

You aren't going to go wrong with getting an EGG. PERIOD !
  • Bacchus
    The Large has pleanty of room for most people.
  • T-BONE
    T-BONE Posts: 7
    I'am also a newbie and recently bought the XL BGE with the new designed dome. This now has the same design as the large which was always the knock on the XL. Get the Xl because bigger is now better, you wont regret it. I don't.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    You'll get mixed emotions on L or XL....I let the dealer of where I bought mine sway me to the L. I figure the XL was only a couple bills more which the dealer would be loosing and he was swaying me to the L so I put trust in him and went w/ the L. I'd like an XL but the L cooks enough fer my family and friends so just ??? yourself on how much you are really cooking...
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!