Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new fire starting tip

Options
eggor
eggor Posts: 777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This might be something old but I haven't heard anyone try this. I have some baby backs on but the fire went a little high, dampered down and killed the fire. Rather than pull the meat, indirect set up etc. I took a few feet of 1/2 inch inside diameter soft copper tubing and slid it right over the propane torch nozzle. Slide it all the way over the air mixing holes, bend the tubing with your hands until you are able to direct the flame up through bottom vent towards the charcoal. Now open the propane valve, hold some source of flame at the end and you have a real easy way to light the fire without opening the egg. It only took 2 minutes to bend the tubing and about two minutes to reignite the charcoal.

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    eggor, How long did you damper the fire? It should have come back up, if it was less than an hour.

• eggor
    Options
    tach18k,
    Dampered about 45 minutes then gave it 10 minutes and temp was still dropping so I figure it was dead. But I got a pretty slick fire atarter out of it. Think I might follow through and make it a permanent part of the arsennal and see how well it works. Being that propane is so cheap If it works well I might have something that might get the egg going for less than a couple bucks a year.[p]Scott

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    tach18k,[p]A tight ceramic cooker will snuff the fire in 20 min or less with all vents closed. I never close the bottom vent all the way unless I want the fire to go out, or it will. Leaving just a crack will keep the fire from going out and still allow the cooker to cool down (although slowly).
  • clausenk
    clausenk Posts: 93
    Options
    eggor,[p]Actauuly sounds similar to the Guru 5 in 1 tool, but with the advantage of durable copper tubing instead of plastic hose. The ultimate, but not cheap, tool would probabaly have a braided metal hose.
  • eggor
    Options
    clausenk,
    the guru might have got the wheals turnin but this was kind of spur of the moment thing. If I figure this out you wont need any flexible hose it might just hook onto the table or nest and just swing it in position when ya want to light up, come back after a couple minutes and shut her down and swing out. If something like this comes from the guru boys you heard it here first.[p]Scott