Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket in 3.5 hours HELP!! LOL

Options
SmokinParrotHead
SmokinParrotHead Posts: 532
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried this? I am not sure if this fellow is a member here, if so then I apologize for not knowing who you are here.

Anyways, I am trying this today. I wanted to do it the "right" way, low and slow, but just didn't work out to have the time and I was gonna lose the meat I was afraid if I didn't get it cooked this weekend.

This blogger says to cook it fat cap down, direct, at 350 to 175 degrees, then to foil it for about an hour with some au juis(sp?) to 210. My question is, does this pic not show it fat side down in the foil boat too? If so, do you guys think that is right or should I try it fat cap up once I foil it to let the fat run down into the brisket?

Check out the link and let me know what you guys think. I am sitting at 2 hours and 15 minutes right now and am at 165 internal, so I am about ready for the "steaming" step.

Here is the link:

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/search/label/Brisket

This is my first brisket, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Comments

• SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    I take this to mean none of you think this is a good idea? :whistle:
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    SWOkla-Jerry Posts: 640
    Options
    Hi SPH
    I just took my brisket off the fire and am resting it for about an hour. Still have about 45 mins before we eat. I started my brisket direct cut in half at 11 am this morning, then bumped the temp to 325 when I went into 1/2 steam pans. I pulled at 205 and havent eaten yet but looks and smells wonderful. Also, is totally tender to the fork and probe so far. Here is recipe:

Beef, Brisket, FlaPoolMan
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 Whole Brisket

Mix:

1 12 Ozs Beer
    12 oz Water
    1/2 cup Brown sugar
    10 Shakes Worcestershire Sauce
    4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
    1 Tbs Cayenne pepper
    5 Shakes Tabasco, to taste
    2 Tsp Onion powder,
    2 Tsp Dry mustard.
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Heat and Serve:

2 Pkgs Au Jus, Mix as per package instructions.

Procedure:

1 One whole brisket with fat trimmed then cut in half (to fit in steamer trays later---8 X 10 which are 1/2 commercial tray size).

2 Rub the night before with your favorite steak rub, I use Montreal Steak Seasoning.

3 Place both pieces on the egg at 250-275 direct for 1 1/2 hrs each side.

4 Remove brisket pieces and put in steamer trays, 8 X 10 inches, dividing the liquid. mix and cover tightly with foil.

5 Return to egg at 250 indirect (they can be stacked on top of each other) and leave for 4 to 5 hours.

6 Remove and discard cooking liquid, slice against the grain and add au jus sauce (about 2 cups each container) and serve.

7 If precooking for the next day wait until you are ready to reheat to add the au jus.

8 Not the conventional way to make a brisket but it is really easy and the taste is great.!