Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foodsaver,thoughts on buying

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking of buying a foodsaver and question which you eggers think is best buy.Any problems, cost, availabilty, quality and cost of bags, and any other important info. Thanks ahead of time!!
Good Eggin to all!!
Poppasam

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    poppasam, go for it -you won't regret the purchase. I bought the FoodSaver model 1050 a couple years back and - just like the BGE - I can't believe I didn't buy it sooner. Check the archives too this topic is a repeat which ought to be given an archive address of itself!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    poppasam,
    I have one for about two years now. Like it fine the bags are way to expensive unless you use them over and over. My wife bought tomatoes and beans buy the bushel this week. we filled regular Freezer bags and pushed the sides together until the product was at the top without any Air and sealed them.

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    poppasam,
    I love mine. I have the model from Sam's - I think it's the 750. A pretty basic unit came with enough bags a couple of canisters and a bag cutter/holder thingie. It does fine for what I do - mostly breakdown and freeze bulk stuff - dogs, brats, burgers, fish. Use it to keep & freeze left over butt & brisket meat - helps keep thing moist when reheating. Also use to keep brown sugar, spices and nuts. Really a great tool to have. I re-use bags, but I'm not a wierdo about saving a bag. Hell we spill so much money on other stupid stuff the bag cost is inconsequential. There are other models with more functions etc, but this one works for us. I think my wife paid $108 for it around last Christmas. What else do you want to know. Joe

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    RRP,
    just got mine yesterday. Really had a hard time deciding which one to get and ended up going for the pro II version. Check(sp) Kohles.com. They had a couple of models in the store on sale (I think till the end of the month). The Pro and I believe the 1500 model were only avaialble on the web site. The sale price on the web was about $50 cheaper than any other I could find. All the supplies are on sale, too.[p]

• Rodan
    Rodan Posts: 32
    poppasam,
    I don't know how I'd get along without mine. The Black & Decker bags from Wal Mart or wherever, are a little cheaper & work just as well if not better. I always buy the rolls rather than individual bags. Not only is it cheaper, but they can be custom sized. I buy the Sam's cryopac butts and cook both at the same time. I vacuum seal the leftovers into individual packages & either freeze or refrigerate, depending on how soon I want to use them. Then, they're ready to use just by dropping the bags in boiling water to heat. Maintains the moisture. It has saved me a bunch of money by keeping things from freezer burn and having meals "ready to eat". Best bet to buy is Sam's or Costco. HTH

• Rodan, DITTO on all that you said , a foodsaver would be in my top 4 eggcessories.

• Jo
    Jo Posts: 26
    poppasam,
    Check Sears. I bought mine, same as FoodSaver brand, only it has the Kenmore name on it. Much better price than FoodSaver.
    As everyone said, you will love it.

• poppasam,
    I can't remember what model I bought (why are there so many models??) but it works great and I wouldn't be without it. Not only are the rolls convenient to use for freezing leftovers, etc, but the canisters and the univeral lid work great for keeping sauces and berries fresh in the fridge. I love the marinade dish, as I can come home after work and marinate meat while the Egg gets going. Saves lots of time.[p]Actually, if asked my opinion about a FoodSaver? I'd say, "It sucks."[p]Cheers,
    G.

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Rodan, The Black & Decker bags work unless a little moisture ends up where the FoodSaver seals. The seal will not hold. I called B&D and they indicated their bags are not approved for the FoodSaver even though the label on the box says for "leading brand" of vacuum sealers. Her advice was to buy a B&D brand sealer. [p]BeerMike

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Here's a little trick:
    While FoodSaver sells special bottle stoppers for wine, etc. , they're very expensive, and besides, I already have bunch of the Vac-U-Vin rubber stoppers (with the manual pump).
    Well, I bought a spare pump ($10 including an extra stopper), and drilled a 7/32" hole in the side of it, just below where the piston sits when it's pulled all the way up. Stick the FoodSaver accessory hose in the hole, and suck away!
    (If you try this, it's best to use a drill press and hold the pump very still to prevent drill wobble from enlarging the hole and spoiling the fit.)