Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pro's Ranch Market Lump Carcoal?

Options
rro
rro Posts: 5
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Hope I am not breaking any rules by asking fellow forum members this question. It is related to the charcoal I might try in my Big Green Egg.

Has anyone used the Mesquite lump charcoal that Pro's Ranch Market sells? It comes in a plane brown bag stating it is a product of Mexico. Any opinions welcome. I checked out the "The Naked Whiz's" lump charcoal database and didn't find a review of the charcoal sold at Pro's Ranch Market.

Regards,Ron

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Usually the Mexico brands are frowned upon. I've always heard buy USA brands.
    This is on topic and should be posted on the egghead forum. Just and fyi. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have used some of the cheap Mexico lump and still do.
    Some spark a little more esp at start up. Some bags as cheap as $11.00 for 40 pounds. Cooked fine and tasted great. I have seen past posts about sparking so bad it small pieces of sparking lump were sticking to the food.
    So far, lucky, have never had this problem. Might avoid high temp cooks with the cheap Mesquite.
    Give it a try,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • rro
    rro Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the replies

I decided to purchase three seven pound bags of the Mexico Mesquite charcoal. The peaces are rather large but that can be solved with a sledgehammer. I only opened one of the three bags. I used them as is (large) and they seemed to cook fine. I use a chimney starter to light my charcoal and it did spark/smoke more than the BGE charcoal but only during the initial/startup period. Appears to produce about the same heat and have a similar burn rate (usage) as the BGE charcoal. Since I have only used it once, I will reserve my official opinion; however, the first time around worked fine.

Regards, Ron