Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie to Mapp Torch

Options
sterw
sterw Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just bought Mapp torch. Do you guys use a hose with it or is it safe to hold cyinder inside egg when lighting?

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i just hold the cylinder. ...but beware.. . some lump sparks a lot and you can get hit in the eye with a flying spark so beware!!. . ..
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    sterw,

I hold it by the tank and sometimes stand behind the dome if things get sparky. If it does get to sparking, back it off a bit or move the flame to a different spot. I usually will look for 'holes' down into the pile of lump to get the tip of the torch into.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I hold the cylinder. Try to stay away from any dust if you empty out a bag.

Mike
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    I use the hose model. Just be sure to stand back and wear old clothes as some lump can put on a real fireworks show (i.e. it is very easy to burn holes in whatever you are wearing). :(
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    I hold my mapp torch right at the trigger. Don't be a wuss, lol. :woohoo: I do stand on the backside sometimes if the sparks get to flying. I do also slide my sunglasses over my eyes when lighting though. As long as you don't have your arm or clothing drenched in something flammable, you will be fine.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I wear safety glasses and recommend them to anyone using the torch. -RP
  • Bjvanm
    Bjvanm Posts: 25
    Options
    I just hold the tank. Just like everyone else, watch for flying sparks.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    AZRP wrote:
    I wear safety glasses and recommend them to anyone using the torch. -RP

I second that. Why take a chance with your eyes? Use safety or sun glasses when lighting with a torch.

Kind regards,
    dbCooper
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't wear Polarfleece, or any other synthetic fabric, while using one. :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    My Mapp Gas Torch came with a two foot long hose and torch with a handle attached to it. I use the Fat Boy canisters and I'm going on a year on the same canister!
    I light three spots on the top for 20 seconds each and when it kicks off put a few pieces of lump over the lit ones....

Works great... but I still prefer the solid fuel foil starter packs... but 24 cost about 5.00 and that adds up after a while!

I've never tried the electric starter... is it too slow?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Dave,

My experience with those electric jobies is not so good. They are IMO disposable.
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Options
    We used the electric starter for awhile. (We started the BGE firestarters first, but that got too expensive!) It takes awhile and then you have this screaming hot branding iron hanging around waiting for an accident while it cools. They work ok, a little slow, but the big issue for me is worrying about someone getting hurt, or catching something (that shouldn't be) on fire. If you're ever near Central FL, you can try ours before you buy...