Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks?

Austin Egger
Austin Egger Posts: 256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I seared my first steaks yesterday! I had some New York strip steaks that I had in the freezer and I thaughed them to room temperature (or pretty close). They were pretty juicy although for some reason I expected them to be better and more tender. I presume it was the steak and not the cooking :huh: What steak(s) are the best to cook that will melt in your mouth? Ribeye, flat iron steak???? Can freezing them and thaughing them contribute to a steak that is not as tender? Thanks for your responses!!!

Comments

• 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Fresh meat has more moisture. Freeze/thaw tends to dry out the meat. Rib eyes are a favorite of mine but others may differ.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    My favorite is ribeye, preferably prime grade. -RP
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    How long in the freezer? And what grade of meat, Choice, Select or whatever? I think both could make a difference. I used to be a huge ribeye fan, and still really like them. tjv recently kind of got me leaning towards the NY Strip. I picked up some really nice Prime Strips at HeEb last weekend. I've gotten to where I re-bag them in vacuum bags and let let them sit in the fridge for a few days ( a type of wet aging) before going in the freezer. Most times I forget to set them out before going to work, so I end up thawing in water when I get home. I'm not saying I "hot tub" them, but the warm water just before cooking really seems to get the juices flowing.

I then TRex as I would any steak and they are always really tender and juicy.

Mike
  • my go-to is a strip. i think it's the best everyday steak (well, not every day) for flavor and texture.

if you want the most flavor, softer texture, definitely the rib eye. if you age the ribeye (dry aged) you get the best of noth worlds, flavor, texture, and a lot less water in the fat.

tenderloin is good for tenderness of course, and i have had luck with them as steaks when getting grass fed. different flavor. not much fat flavor ('beef' flavor) in a standard tenderloin, so the grass fed is a nice twist.

if i am cooking a fresh steak, it's an inch and a half strip steak.

if it's something i aged, then a rib eye. though i am staring at two mote dry-aged strips in the fridge right now, ready to go. which means... try them all. you'll learn to appreciate the differences, and will enjoy each one more when you cook them in a way that presents their strong points foremost
  • Filets are known for being tender and melting in your mouth. Just like I look for in a steak. Some say you sacrifice some flavor in a filet compared to other steak cuts but not enough for me to notice or change meat cuts because nothing comapares to how it melts in your mouth. Filets are more expensive per lbs than most all cuts. Dont care about the money and feeling hungry, get a porterhouse, a filet and strip separated by the bone and get the best of both worlds.
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    I think they were in the freezer for a couple of months. I am not sure the grade...they looked really good from HEB though. They were vacuum sealed in the freezer.
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    I love hanger steak. Try the T-Rex method. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm