Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dried Orange/Lemon Peel for Smoke?

Options
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend at work just gave me a a bag of dried orange peels :blink: (I looked at him like he was nuts). He uses them for smoke and flavor. Anybody on the board do this or something similar with dried fruit rinds? Specific uses?

Mark

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I'd give it a shot. I think it would impart a good thing.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    when we had a gas kitchen stove 30 plus years ago I would always put half a grapefruit rind on the burner under a low flame. The aroma was always pleasant in the kitchen. Of course back then I smoked 3 packs a day and probably couldn't smell for sh*t anyway! :whistle:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Mark,

I would give it a try with a piece of tilapia or other inexpensive fish. I would be really interested how it works for ya.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Thanks Steve. I was thinking the same, to try on a cheap piece of fish. I may try it with a few chicken pieces too. Poultry lets you know real fast whether you have a pleasant smoke or a bad smoke.
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    citrus is always dicey. a little can be fantastic, a lot can suck real bad.

that citrus -ured gravlax was excellent, but only after i let it soak in water for an extra day to draw some of the cure back out. i over-cured it, and the citrus was too strong.

operator error.

let us know how you make out