Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Bolts

Options
BeerBQ
BeerBQ Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on taking my egg apart so I can sand and re-stain my egg table. Question: Do I need to purchase some new carriage bolts for the band or can I reuse the ones that are already bent?

Comments

• chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    Options
    I think you should just go buy some new ones. I bought a few pairs from sears hardware a few months back. They were like 20 cents a piece. I wouldn't want to risk a bolt breaking down the road.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Reuse the old ones are fine, everybody does. They are almost impossible to break.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    What Phil said, plus you don't have to take them all the way off, just loosen the top one enough to slip the ome off. It is not a big deal.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • PhilOsh
    PhilOsh Posts: 84
    Options
    I just took mine apart and reused the old bolts and it worked real easy and seems just fine. I don't think the bolts are in any danger of breaking.
    Phil
  • BeerBQ
    BeerBQ Posts: 119
    Options
    Excellent! Thank you for the replies.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    If you keep loosening and tightening the same bolts - as I did - they will eventually gall and become very difficult to turn. The solution is to lightly oil them. If you do that, they can be reused over and over again.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    the one thing that no one has addressed is that when you tighten the nuts even BGE recommends that you tighten so tight that you bend the bolts. In doing so that limits the amount they will tighten to that bent spot on the bolts and if there is a chance you need them tighter they won't budge or could strip the threads thus weakening the grip. I'm in the camp of starting with new bolts - they are cheap!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.