Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking about a 2nd egg...

Options
texasAUtiger
texasAUtiger Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I currently have a large. For my next one, my priority is on something I can easily put in the back of the family van on trips and still have enough room to cook when we arrive. With that in mind, how portable is the med vs small egg? Can you cook a butt and/or small brisket on each? Thanks.

Comments

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    get an extra large and pull with a trailer!! :cheer: :lol:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Don't know about a brisket on a small, probably a small butt. I think a small would be your best bet for ease of lifting.

Mike
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I have a medium and although can be transported, it is a little heavy. I would lean towards a small.
  • TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    Options
    I bought a small just for this same reason. The small is still a bit of a bulky addition for the back of my Suburban, but very managable. A smaller pork butt will fit. I have crammed two (cut) racks of BB ribs on before, but had to constantly rearrange them ... Next time I will only do one rack. In addition, I find the Small Egg with the Large is a nice combo to have at home as well.

DSC00679.jpg

This was the 'house of cards' method I used to fit the 2 racks into the Egg. They eventually worked out just fine.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Get the Small. I have had a Medium for over two years and love it. Wouldn't trade it for anything since its just me and the wife 80% of the cooks but had been wanting another Egg so I could cook at two different temps at the same time. I also wanted to be able to tote the new Egg to work and such EASLY. I have moved the Medium by myself but at 43 with a couple ruptured disk I had to completly disassemble it lid from bottom and all. Got me the Small a couple weeks ago and couldn't be happer. Working on a carrier for it now if I can ever get off work long enough to finnish it. ;)
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I have a small and would recommend it.

I would like to see pictures of your small carrier when you get it done.