Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rusting dfmt

ebrooker007
ebrooker007 Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After I tried a cleaning some of the crud off the dfmt the thing started rusting. Have any of you all used any of that high temp paint. I think it is for woodburning stoves. Probably should be careful around the daisy wheel but I think it should work.

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I think most will agree that afyter you clean it, you should just spray it with a little PAM rather than painting it. Also, it is a good idea to store it in the egg. Put it in there as soon as you are finished cooking and the egg is still hot/warm. This will go a long way towards minimizing rust.
    I live in Florida and as soon as I learned these little things I no longer have a problem. B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Adding to what Frank typed. I use a brass brush and clean the dissasembled DFMT. You may want to wear latex cooking gloves because this is a messy job. Spray Pam on then wipe it off. You may have to repeat this step a few times. Reassemble DFMT. Get your egg up to 275 deg. Once you get the egg to temp, put your grid in. Give the DFMT another light coating of Pam and place inside the egg and "bake" for 2 hours. DO NOT EVEN USE PAINT! Hope this helps. :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • ebrooker007
    Does it come from the factory painted or seasoned? I'm not talking about painting it with standard krylon. There is a high temp black paint for grills and woodburning stove.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    As Tim said, DO NOT PAINT!!!
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

I just let mine rust, I didn't get the ceramic cap with my egg so I don't have much choice. I'm in FL also and my egg is out in the open, fully exposed. My dfmt is probably going to out live me by 100 years. It may not be pretty but it has developed a dark patina and works like it was brand new. I figure it's part of a grill/smoker, like the horseshoe stakes, I don't bring them in out of the rain either. :lol:

Long live the BGE,

Gator

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Mineral oil is another option as a protective coating for metals exposed to the elements. I've had good luck using it on tools and knifes, gave my DFMT a coating when new. Still looking good after 20+ cooks.

The advantage over fat based cooking sprays is the petroleum base of mineral oil. This may not matter as the DFMT sees plenty of fat during usage.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    i havent had touble with mine yet, but from reading this, it sounds like i might.... Guess i will take it off from now on. :ermm:
  • ebrooker007
    I wouldn't bother taking it off. I have one egg that is 5 years old and one that is 1 year old. The one that is 5 years old had lots of gunk on it so I decided to put it in the grill to clean it up and every since then it is rusting before that it hadn't in the previous 5 years.