Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I've made the worst mistake

smokeydrew
smokeydrew Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got married, and I've made the worst mistake ever... I have been cooking her dinner regularly on the bge. Now she won't ever cook me dinner! After a 10 hour work day, I don't feel like cooking. What can I do? Please help! Sorry for the vent... but I'm starving:)[p]-smokeydrew

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    smokeydrew, show here how to hold the mapp gas torch while lighting the Egg. She should learn the basics. Then she might get the hint.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    smokeydrew,[p]Drew, you're screwed. :~)[p]On the other hand, it aint all that bad.... simply show her how the lump and fire thing works... and the rest will work itself out. [p]John

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    The only suggestion I can make is - cut back on your work hours.
  • KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    smokeydrew,[p]Here's a one word answer: leftovers. There are plenty of things you can cook on the egg that will feed you for 2-3 days. Then you only have to cook one or two weeknights each week.
  • Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    smokeydrew,
    You are SOL.[p]Find some energy and enthusiasm, cuz it ain't gonna change....and just remember "If she ain't happy, nobody's happy!"[p]Take it from someone who knows....[p]Mike in MN

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    smokeydrew:[p]"Never marry a Princess if you are not a King" . . . [p]Having said that, it is not unusual to come home after a long day at the salt mine and finding that The Princess has already lit the cooker and is handing me a patter of food items to be placed on the hot grid. If she wakes up I will be SOL . . .[p]"Train her early or be prepaired to move on to the next one."
    [/b]
  • Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    smokeydrew. I'd tell her that it's the egg or her and that you will miss her when she's gone.

• Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    smokeydrew,
    Withhold sex until she learns how to cook on the egg. Oh, wait, that's right, you're the guy. I've got no advice for you.

• GoodEgg
    GoodEgg Posts: 16
    smokeydrew,[p]After a 10-hour day you don't feel like cooking on the Egg? What's wrong with you? Cooking on the Egg is what makes the workday worth working![p]And besides, coming home and being a hero at dinner might help you make your point when your Everlovin' might feel a little too tired for that, um, other stuff.
  • smokeydrew,
    How about this one....... Buy her a BBQ Guru, maybe she will let you use it. You could put on something special before you go to work. When you come home you can both enjoy something special. If you get my drift.
    Even Temps, Shotgun Fred

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    smokeydrew,[p]Get the egg ready before you head off to work and show her how to light it for you.[p]Start cooking quick items like pork tenderloin.[p]Then again, you could start cooking nothing but hot dogs for a week and maybe she'll get the idea.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Jose'
    Jose' Posts: 48
    smokeydrew,
    Eithwe get rid of her or learn to live with it. have two out of three daughters in law just like thay. They will never change!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Daddyo, I like that one, but it leads to a hands on argument...snarly smile..heeeyaaa. I still like your cart.
    C~W

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    smokeydrew,
    Make sure your girlfriend will cook, and play golf too!
    Seth

• Crab leg, why in the world would you want your girlfriend/wife to play golf with you???? Thats your one chance to get away for a while and be with the boys, drink a few PBRs, tell a few dirty jokes, and brag a little without the wife being there to correct you! Why would you want to mess that up???[p]Hugh Jass
  • Daddyo, I did that once..cut my wife off completely...it was 6 months before she noticed!![p]Hugh

• Crab leg,
    HMMMM....sounds like a problem I have. Although I had to buy smoke detectors for the house so my wife knows when dinner is done. I guess she showed me...lol. And the taking her for a good game of golf??? That's my way of getting away for awhile. After all Golf is an Acronym, used to stand for, Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden. :-)

• Sorry to be blunt but -- "Tough It Up Man" [p]I have learned over the years that cooking is "Man's Work" (okay, at least that's how it was explained to me), and is expected even more when you have one or more BGE cooking utensils. Sitting out with the Egg(s) is a great way to escape from the stresses of life, sort of like a mini-vacation. It's also a great way to have some private time while meditating to the rolling smoke as it gently escapes from the top of the Egg.[p]Embrace the role and your not lot in life. After a while you will come to enjoy it![p]Larry

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    smokeydrew,
    Looks like a made bed to me. About all you can do now is lie in it![p]I've been cooking for my bride for 28 years now and the egg has made it just that much better.

• smokeydrew
    smokeydrew Posts: 130
    smokeydrew,
    Wow. I knew I could count on this board to provide marital advice for just such a situation. I think I'll try to get her more involved in egging... even if it's just buying the food to cook. I also just bought a foodsaver, so I guess I can start cooking large meals so we have plenty of leftovers. [p]On a side note, it's amazing how this new higher alcohol beer in GA can bring out the truth... luckily I kept it just to this board :) Seriously though, I only had 3 beers, and it made for a really rough morning.[p]Thanks again for all the advice.[p]smokeydrew

• Julie R
    Julie R Posts: 39
    smokeydrew,
    You knew a woman would chime in eventually. Someone please tell me where it is written that the woman has to do the cooking! I know when I get home after 9 hours at my first job, 1 hour or so at my second job, and picking up the children at daycare, I'm tired when I get home too. The I advice I can give you from someone who has to do 99% of the cooking at my house is to learn simple recipes for the BGE/stove, get a crock pot, and trade off cooking nights.
    Julie

• Julie R.,
    You said it! I have the boys so spoiled that when I don't/can't cook, they resort to cold cereal. Miserable varmints!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• smokeydrew,
    Score another one for the female. She married you because you cooked and fed her well. (duh, what were you thinking?) Now, what was she doing for you that you lost all your senses over and went and married her? Now, don’t tell be a man that can cook and eat BBQ everyday must also have dessert once in a while. Now, you must pay for that dessert dearly and still be the meat provider.

• James
    James Posts: 232
    smokeydrew,[p]What are you talking about? Is she not allowed to use the egg for some reason? Tell her to get her butt out there and cook you some steaks...[p]
  • James
    James Posts: 232
    Larry,[p]I've known a few women who can go head to head with ANYONE on the egg.[p]In fact, I didn't get custody of any of the 3 eggs in my divorce.[p]I hope she's not reading this.... :-)[p]