Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Doneness

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently acquired a large BGE and want to know about the great steaks that it cooks. My question is that our family likes varying degrees of doneness. I like Well-done and my wife likes Medium. Kids like rare. how do you do this for the varying degrees of doneness and w/o meat thermometer. Is there a tried and true method? Can you open the BGE after it sears some of the steaks, and leave the others on the grill longer?

Comments

• Gshell
    Gshell Posts: 44
    Options
    TerryinAlabama,
    One method is push on the steak with you finger, if it feel like the tip of your nose, that's well done...if it feels like the side of you nose thats medium well....if it's like you ear lobe thats medium and if it's like your cheek thats rare.

• aka mr. Earl
    aka mr. Earl Posts: 151
    Options
    TerryinAlabama,[p]you just answered your own question. If doneness really matters, and everybody wants something different, you should get a quick read thermometer (look for posts about thermapen's products). [p]With a good quick read thermometer you just pop open the dome for 10-20 seconds, take a reading and you get amazing accuracy.[p]If you just can't get a thermometer tv chefs swear by the fist method. Make your left hand into a tight fist. Touch the area between your thumb and index finger. Notice how hard that area is. That is what a well done steak will feel like (probably a too well done steak). Now relax your fist as completely as possible. That is what your steak should feel like raw (try this with one of your steaks before you cook it.) The trick is to figure out how to calibrate what the range between a loose and tight fist with the doneness of a steak on the grill. I can't do it. Good luck.
  • Unknown
    Options
    GSHELL,the trick here I bet is not letting that finger accidentally insert itself in the nose and then check the steak, LOL...just kiddin...are you sure??? first time I heard of them test...sounds like my wife is trying to make me see if I had enough scotch while eggin or not...

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Chet,,,,,,,,,I'm wondering who's cheeks..??[p]Best I can do is if the blood serum comes to the top after the first flip, your at medium to medium rare.
    Two more flips and your at well done.[p]