Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Birthday Dinner Suggestions????

Noonie
Noonie Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All...[p]I am cooking a birthday dinner for about 10 people and need some good suggestions for a main dish. I was thinking of a prime rib roast, but wouldn't that cost at least an arm??? Any help would be much appreciated....[p]Thanks, Noonie

Comments

• UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Noonie,[p]That's easy..... a brisket ;)
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Noonie,[p]Mr. Toad's Pork Loin. Check the recipe page.[p]Ken
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    flanksteak.jpg
    <p />Noonie,[p]Mad Max's flank steaks make a nice meal and a nice presentation. You cna do several at once and easily feed 10.[p]Chuck

• Noonie
    Chuck,
    This looks mmmmmgoooood...Is it easy???

• Noonie
    BlueSmoke,
    Thanks for the suggestion...the last time I had the same ten people over I did a pork roast...But it wasn't Mr. Toad's...maybe I'll give it a shot...thanks....

• Noonie,
    I would go all out and spend the bucks. Do a standing Ribb roast. [p]Jerry

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Noonie,[p]It isn't real hard to do. The hardest part is butterflying the flank steak and that isn't too bad with a sharp knife. I think you can get the recipe at The Naked Whiz' site. If you can't find it let me know.[p]Chuck

• noonie
    chuck provided the pics. . .here is the recipe. ..like he said, other than butterflying the flank steak (which you can ask your butcher to do when you buy it if you want), it is very easy, makes a great presentation, and tastes good.. ..you can also do them a day before if you want and serve them at room temps, although we prefer them hot.. . .[p]here you go. .. [p]ROLLED FLANK STEAK[p]1 good sized flank steak, butterflied and marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and herbs de provence. .
    3 yellow/orange peppers - roasted and peeled (if you have never done this, see below)
    about 1/3 pound thinly sliced prociutto
    basil
    parmegan cheese (canned shaker variety)[p]lay out the marinated butterflied flank steak, cover evenly with a layer of the prociutto. . .spread the roasted peppers along one long edge (they should cover about 1/4 - 1/3 of the steak. .
    .sprinkle liberally with the basil and parmegan cheese. . .roll tightly in a log (you may need to use some tooth picks to hold them, i don't). ... lay them in a pan (i used a big ceramic dish
    which worked quite well in the egg). . or do them on a grid set over inverted plate setter. . ..drizzle some of the left over marinade on them. . .cook for about 45 minutes at 375 - 400 dome temp for medium. ..slice them into thin rolls. .
    .makes a nice presentation. .. the recipe originally calls for them to be served at room temps, we like them warmer. . .your choice. [p]NOTES about butterflied flank steak and roasted peppers[p]1. you can ask your butcher to butterfly the flank steak or you can do it yourself. .. lay the flank steak flat, using a long knife to slice the steak into two thin halves be keeping the knife parallel to the cutting board (depending on your pan/dish, you can leave it in one big flat piece or slice completely through it and have two pieces (two are easier to work with into two small rolls). .. it is also easier to slice through if
    you put the steak flat in the freezer for about a half an hour so that it is a little 'stiff'. . .[p]2. if you haven't peeled peppers before, you cut them into flat slices, put them skin side up in the broiler until they are black and burning on top. . .then pull them off and immediately put
    them into a large zip-lock baggie for at least 15 minutes. .. pull them out and the skins will peal right off leaving you with lovely soft pepper pieces. ..