Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All this talk about Shrimp Burgers

Gandolf
Gandolf Posts: 906
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has got me wanting to try them. So tonight's the night. I just finished forming a dozen of these little babies for my wife and I to have for dinner this evening. Getting anxious! Anticipation is half the fun, right?

Comments

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    you bet, i like that you have a dozen of them, can i come over :laugh:
  • Gandolf
    You're welcome anytime! But I think we can eat a dozen by the time you get here from North Dakota :laugh:
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    i think your right, might take a minute or two to get there. :ermm:
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Jay (ssn686) has been serving those shrimp burgers for years at the Eggtoberfest After-Party and everyone loves them. So, in following with the principles of "How To Win Friends And Influence People" we decided to do what Jay does... (He's got lots of friends).

But since we didn't want to throw the entire Texas Eggfest into a crazy frenzy we opted for doing them at the After Party. Oh yea, we only had about a pound of shrimp and a few Hawaiian Rolls and that would not have been easily distributed among the 350 obviously hungry souls there. Less than twenty at the After-Party sucked 'em down in seconds.

There are a few Eggheads out there who's names are synonymous with a certain dish. This is Jay's number one, and he's got a couple’a more.

I'm just happy to have been able to introduce them to the Texas Eggfest population.

You definitely won't hesitate to invite friends over for this meal... It's one of the better ones that people can't forget.

Spring "Little Shrimps Run'n Around In My Cranium" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Gandolf
    You and Lawn Ranger are the ones who got me into this mess tonight! What with the photos and all ;) I'm sure they're going to be great. Thanks for the inspiration. I am looking forward to them.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Can someone share this recipe for the shrimp burgers? I'd love to try them!

fc :)
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Frank,
    Here is Jay's recipe:
    SHRIMPBURGERS

Ingredients:

1 pound raw shrimp (cleaned, shelled & deveined)
    1 egg
    1/4 cup finely chopped parsley or cilantro
    1/2 cup Panko Crumbs
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground Black Pepper
    Wasabi Mayonnaise (recipe follows)

Preparation:
    In a food processor, process half the shrimp with the egg. Coarsely chop the remaining shrimp and put it into a bowl. Add the processed shrimp
    & parsley/cilantro, panko crumbs, salt & pepper to taste (I usually use about 2 tablespoons of DP Shakin' the Tree rub instead of S&P).
    Form the mixture into patties (we have found that a 1.5 inch square cookie cutter works real well for this. Put the cookie cutter on freezer or
    waxed paper and fill with the shrimp mixture, then gently pull off the cookie cutter). After the burgers are formed, put them in the refrigerator
    for at least one hour to help firm them up.

Egg Setup & Cooking:
    Stabilize Egg at 350 with a raised grid. Place the burgers on a perforated pan such as a pizza pan with holes or disposable fine mesh screen.
    Place pan on raised grid and grill until cooked through, turning once, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove the burgers to a "bun" that has been
    spread with the Wasabi Mayo(Hawaiian rolls are what we have used most often as their sweetness contrasts nicely with Wasabi Mayo. T
    hese can be split to serve as open face or as a "normal" burger). Add more Wasabi Mayo on top of the shrimp burgers.
    Leave as whole or cut in half or quarters depending on how many you are trying to serve. We typically do 3 pounds of shrimp at a time which should yield about 24 burgers 1.5" square.

Wasabi Mayonnaise:
    1 cup Mayonnaise
    1/4 cup prepared Wasabi (available in the Asian section of the supermarket)
    1 tsp. freshly grated Ginger
    2 Tbls. Soy Sauce
    1 tsp. sugar
    pinch salt

Mix all the ingredients together. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
  • Gandolf
    A friend gave me a "slider press" a couple years ago for Christmas. I've never used it until today. Made super shrimp burgers. They were wonderful.. Will definitely make again soon. Thanks Spring Chicken and Lawn Ranger for making me want to do this. Twelve years Egging and still trying new things.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    ;)

LR

Hope you are well, My Friend.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Thanks Bobby! Gonna try these in the next few weeks.

fc
  • Quick question! Do you use the Italian Panko Crumbs or just the plain?
  • Gandolf
  • Thanks, I will try these soon.