Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to pick up a CI Grid

Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Capt Frank's post earlier (about the three-piece CI grid) reminded me that I have been meaning to post a pic of my CI grid lifter. Very easy, very cheap and many of you probably already have one anyway. No, you can't hang it from the egg mates, but I don't HAVE egg mates. :) And yes, you can use it to lift the grid with food on it if you realize that you forgot the smoke wood. Don't ask me how I know. :)

And if I need a solid surface in addition to the grid, I have several sizes of CI skillets and a couple of flat griddles. No three piece grid for me!

Anyway, here 'tis...

4576460558_2ca20cf960_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• I like your "don't work harder, work smarter" mentality.... :)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Just proves there's more than one way to skin a cat, or a pig, or a chicken! :P That is a great idea! B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Carolina Q
    LOL! Don't be talkin' about skinin' cats around here! People get cranky!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    mine came with the egg ;)

DSCN0007.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Carolina Q
    BENTE wrote:
    mine came with the egg ;)

I didn't get one of those with my large. I did later with the Mini, but I'd never even tried it on the Large CI. Seemed awfully wimpy for a heavy CI grid. So, I just did try it... The hand rake wins - hands down!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    mine got to be such a pain just for some grill marks i finally quit using it

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Carolina Q
    LOL... and since I bought my first egg last August, I have never even used the OEM grid! Even for a butt...........What? You don't want those cool grid marks on your butt? :lol:

CI is kinda heavy though. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Michael, please send me that poor, neglected, porcelain coated, OEM grid that you don't use. :)
  • Carolina Q
    Well, u never know when an emergency will arise. Actually, I did use it once - for a DO cook. Grill marks on a DO seem so unimportant, :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    LOL...I do the same thing. I had to bend the prongs a little more on mine to give it more of a 90 degree angle. Otherwise, the grid would slip off too easily.
  • Judy's Egg
    Judy's Egg Posts: 104
    Thanks for the tip. I use the ash tool, but that looks easier.
  • I bought mine from a dealer but the bottom of it (the flat side) doesn't have near the gaps that I'm seeing in these pictures. In fact, I use that side up when doing veggies like asparagus because I don't have to worry about it falling through.

The third hand won't fit through so I flip it over and insert the handle (single prong) through the outer gap as that's the only slot big enough. Will have to try a couple of these to see if they work.

Bruce