Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Beef?

Options
Hammer
Hammer Posts: 1,001
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've read both pro's and cons on "Pulled Beef". I've heard some say it was good; some say it was bad; and there has been several eggsperts weigh in on the subject, pro and con.
My questions are:
What cut of beef?
What internal temp?
What dome temp?
What has been your results if you have tried it?
Thanks
Hammer

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    07_08_0007_28_05.jpg
    <p />Hammer, check out the link - it wil answer most all of your questions. And the real answer is... it only matter what you think of the results! Give it a try, chuck roast isn't real expensive and you may like what comes off the BGE. [p]Life is GOOD! :~}[p]

[ul][li]Pulled Beef[/ul]
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Gfw,
    Thanks Gordon! I'm going to try it using your recipe and instructions. I'll let you know how it comes out.
    Hammer

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Hammer,[p]I've tried this twice. Both times it came out badly. The first time I used GFW's recipe, with the only difference being the rub (I used DP Cowlick). It had really good flavor but was tough, did not fall apart, and was dry.[p]The second time I tried it was this past weekend. I thought that since the first one turned out dry and tough, I'd try to foil it part of the way through and maybe keep it from drying out. Well, that didn't work either.[p]So, I'm 0 for 2 on this one, LOL![p]Tonia
    :~)

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    QBabe, pulled beef is definately on the dry side compared to pulled pork. That's why the last step (unlike what I do with pp) is to add a thin BBQ Sauce to the pulled beef. [p]
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Gfw,
    I just spent 24 hours babysitting a cook of 100 lbs of pork shoulder and 100 lbs of beef shoulder on an offset cooker, so thought I'd make a few comments:
    We've done the beef shoulder three times now and it's been really moist each time. The difference I see between our cook(s) and yours is that the cut we get is a totally untrimmed shoulder (beef shoulder clod or untrimmed chuck shoulder/arm roast should do it). The full cut is 22 lbs average, so it's a much larger and more marbled piece than what you're working with. I think it's that 'extra' meat from an untrimmed roast that's providing the necessary basting fat for moist pulled beef.
    Qfan

• QBabe
    Options
    Gfw,[p]Thanks for the info. I'd love for this to work out better...![p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]Sounds like you might be onto something there...[p]Both times I've tried it, even though I picked the fattiest cut in the meat case, both pieces looked much leaner than a pork butt or shoulder does and I'm sure that the lack of fat in the cut contributed to the problem.[p]Happy Hour Friday to ya!
    Tonia

• Unknown
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]Ok just to chime in here... is it a possibility to add fat... maybe layer some bacon on top or use beef fat? Jus' wonderin.[p]Brian