Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions about Firebox, pellets vs woodchips.

Options
Clivus
Clivus Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Members have already directed me to some fantastic posts concerning new topics to read on after getting your egg. I was wondering if there was an old thread about pellets vs woodchips for smoking?

Also, I was thinking of getting a smoke box instead of laying the chips directly on the lump (found a discussion on naked whiz concerning to soak or not soak chips).

Thanks,
Clivus

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    wood is wood and smoke is smoke. Both will work, but there is no reason to not just mix it in with the lump for a more prolonged smoke exposure.

I would guess that most people use and recommend using wood chunks instead of chips or pellets.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I use pellets and wood chips the most. Pellets work just fine.
  • Plumbr44
    Plumbr44 Posts: 212
    Options
    If I MUST use chips, I always wrap them in a punctured foil pouch. That way I can remove them easily if I'm doing a different smoke or none at all. Any one else do that? Works pretty good for me. I always try to use bigger chunks of smoking wood though.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I just throw the dry chunks and or chips on the coals before placing my meat on. Years ago before smoking woods became more readily available locally I used to use pellets. What I did was to take two beer cans and cut the bottoms off. Two small darts cut up the side of one allowed one to go inside the other like this making a puck. Holes punched allowed the smoke out - actually it worked rather well and lasted 3 years before I quit using it. Just dump in the pellets.
    IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    The bent nail was left inside poked out a hole so as to get them apart after cold. I should have mentioned I used this because I found aluminum foil melted on the coals, but not this puck.
  • Plumbr44
    Options
    Ron, you are truly "the man"... I brew my own beer, so I have no beer cans, but I'd bet a Pepsi can would do the same... All my beer is kegged as I'm too lazy to bottle.
  • RRP
    Options
    LOL - only thing if someone is accident prone is to be careful cutting those cans as jagged edges can be real nasty, but cut straight they are tame. Hope you can make it to Peoria in a month!
  • Plumbr44
    Options
    I'm going to try, Ron... Had a nasty accident on Thursday. Was driving 50 MPH and a 70 foot tree fell into my lane during a windstorm. Did $10,391.00 in damage to my Jeep Grand Cherokee.
  • RRP
    Options
    bummer! - were you hurt?
  • Plumbr44
    Options
    A little sore and sad... I loved that Jeep..
  • Clivus
    Options
    Thanks. Looks like I have lots of options. It sounds like mixing the wood with the lump may be the eaisiest, I just thought that maybe buying 1 to 2 boxes and using them might avoid the need to soak the wood an hour or two before cooking.

Clivus
  • Clivus
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry to hear about the accident. Hopefully they will total the Jeep and you won't have to spend a month or two waiting on it to get repaired.
    Clivus