Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Mapp Torch....WOW

Options
Mark0525
Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a mapp torch and it was extremely faster to light than the starter cubes that I was using. The question I have is how long do you keep the torch in one area?

Comments

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I usually light the lump at 12,4 & 8 and hold in each spot about 1-2 mins. Different lump light faster. You just have to kind of watch.
    I love my Mapp Torch and my husband gets me the fat boys for them and it last foerever, and I cook almost daily on my eggs.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Thats what I have The Fat boy. Very expensive. 50.00 at Lowes. Thanks
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Mark - About 10-15 seconds in three spots works just fine for me. A bottle of MAPP has lasted over a year using it at least 4 times per week.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Yeah, they are a little pricey but sooooooo worth it. :)
  • Mark0525
    Options
    That's what I thought. It seems to light pretty quick and the fire is ready much sooner this way. I can se how it's worth the price
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wow Mark, you are really going 'whole hog' on the eggcessories. Make sure you save some cash for steak! :)
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Tel me about it. I just got my wok, spider and pizza stone yesterday. It's fun but I think I may be forced to cook hotdogs for awhile :)
  • Unknown
    Options
    Spider I have not used too much. That .5 inch stone from the ceramic grill store (if that is where you got it), is kick-ass.

fun!
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

I have a medium egg and can light the whole thing in a couple minutes, none of the lighting it here and there unless I want a lower temp fire. The Lowes here doesn't carry the "Fat Boy" refills, I have to get them at Home Depot. I don't try to get a million lights out of one tank, I'm happy if I get half that many in half the time and use twice the gas. I have a thousand dollar grill, with all the toys, I'm not going to worry about how much MAPP gas I use to light it! :laugh:

Gator

• JasonATI
    JasonATI Posts: 62
    Options
    On the bernzomatic site they have propane listed at 3450 degrees and mapp at 3600, so if I have propane will it really be worth it to goto a mapp setup?
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    I picked up the Mapp Torch 400. Right call ?

Thanks.

Gary
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    JasonATI wrote:
    On the bernzomatic site they have propane listed at 3450 degrees and mapp at 3600, so if I have propane will it really be worth it to goto a mapp setup?

I keep a few Coleman propane bottles around for my performer. I ran out of mapp a while back and have been using propane instead. I can't remember if the mapp was that much faster. I just bought a weed burner though, so that is probably the fastest of the three choices.