Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need ideas on getting skin crisp

Tennisbum
Tennisbum Posts: 228
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
did a spatchcock chicken for dinner, so no pics cause you all have seen enough of them. I cooked at 350 and the last 15 minutes or so I opened up the vents and let the temp take off, to get the skin crisp. Although it looked good the skin was not as crisp as I would have liked. The breast was 160 and the thigh went up to 190 so the temps were ok
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
gp

Comments

• outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    i cook mine skin down for first 10 mins or so....then turn over..... have no problem getting crispy skin.

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Good LUCK!If you EVER figure it out let me know the trick! :(
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Try not adding any salt or other seasoning until midway thru or after cooking.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Tennisbum,

Did you raise the grid? If you let the chicken sit in the fridge overnight itwill help. I do the seasoning and then do a light cornstarch dusting. Always get fried kinda crispy.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tennisbum
    Tennisbum Posts: 228
    Thanks for the suggestions. I did cook on a raised grid but did not cook breast side down till the last 10 or so minutes. Maybe I should reverse this. Thanks Little Steven for the cornstarch idea.
    gp
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Tennisbum,

Doesn't take much to give it a try. I've been doing it for thirty years. Any chicken with skin on. Just a light dusting. You can use oil as well but it is easy to burn.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Earless
    Earless Posts: 9
    I cook my chicken at 400 off direct heat and rub the skin with a little olive oil salt and pepper. I take it out when the skin is a nice deep golden brown. Keep the lid closed for at least the 1st 30 minutes.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    same here, skin side down to start to get skin rendering, then flip over, can always flip skin down again on back end of cook.

I do 'em raised grid, high in dome, 400 ish on egg temp, start direct but may end indirect depending on how the bird is progressing.......

tspatcockchicken001.jpg

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    With whole chicken or just with chicken breast, I don't even try to get crispy skin. By the time the fat is rendered out of the skin enough to get it crisp, the white meat is inevitably overdone. Hitting it with a lot of heat just burns the outer part of the skin - I have not had success rendering out the subcutaneous fat with high heat. I still have to try the cornstarch trick, though.

However, with the thighs or drums, I like to cook high in the dome, direct, at around 275º. This gives all the fat enough time to render out, and provides enough direct heat to get the skin a beautiful texture to bite through. I find that cooking the meat to around 190º helps as well.

Mark
  • benny
    benny Posts: 109
    the trick is......to get some of the moisture out of the skin. after cleaning chicken leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight as someone else suggested or at least a few hours in the fridge.

the reason it works is with the moisture already out the skin crisps as the chicken is cooked. the cooking time isnt being used to dry it out before crisping it. works in the oven or the grill as well.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    If I want crispy skin,I just use the W!!!! ;)B) :P
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I cook mine indirect until done then pull the platesetter and go direct for ~1 minute, each side. Carefull though, it can burn pretty fast.