Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect cooking

Options
Linda
Linda Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there any way you can cook indirect without a platesetter? I don't have one and would like to use the indirect method.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Linda,[p]Do you have a raised grid (either purchased or home made)... if so then you can use a sheet pan lined with foil... this gives you a shield from direct heat but does not give the thermal mass that the platesetter offers... still I have used this rough method (before I got a Platesetter) for indirect for ribs and chicken with fine results.[p]If you don;t have any type of raised grid you can use a roasting pan (again lineed with foil for easy clean up) and a v-rack in the roasting pan to hold your food up off the pan itself (kind of like how you would cook a Turkey in your oven). [p]Hope this helps.[p]Brian
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Linda,[p]I removed the fire ring and cut some ¼ round stainless steel 2 pcs 6 inches long and 2 pcs 16 inches long and set those on top of the firebox. The idea is to create a lower grid on which to place a 13 inch pizza stone. Place one 6 inch pc on the far right of the firebox and the other on the far left side and the same with the 16 inch pcs and replace the fire ring. I put this setup in my egg 5 months ago and never removed it.[p]
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Linda,
    I think the next best thing to the plate setter (or at least a setup which approximates a plate setter) is to place your grid on the normal location. Place a pizza stone on the grid. Place your drip pan on the pizza stone. Place a raised grid in over the drip pan and place your meat on the raised grid.[p]You can see some details on making a raised grid with stainless steel nuts, bolts and washers on my FAQ. Alternatively, you could get some fire brick and use some pieces of it around the drip pan to rest the upper grid on.[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Ceramic Cooking FAQ[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Linda,
    you can drop a few bricks (firebricks are best) on top of your 'regular' grid, and then, put a raised grid above that.[p]i bought an 18" replacement weber grill (round, of course) at a home center. then you can make 3 (or 4) legs out of 6" stainless steel carriage bolts).[p]for each leg you need:[p]6" carriage bolt
    3 stainless steel washers (say 3/4" or so diameter)
    3 nuts sized for the bolts.[p]trap the grid between two washers threaded on the bolt, and clamp them down to hold the grill by using one of the nuts.[p]then make a 'foot' for the leg to stand on by threading on a nut, then a washer, then another nut. tighten the be-jeezus out of it.[p]you can do three legs in a triangle, or 4 in a square.[p]instant raised grid, under $10

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I intend on getting some angle iron or aluminum, and making hooks or whatever on both ends, with a drop in the center. Make two of these, suspend from fire ring. Want flat part to be about half way down to the coals. Then set pizza stone on the two cross pieces. Stone will be lower than grill, but not right on top of coals, which does not make much sense to me. Hope this explanation makes sense.[p]Lets see if I can use the keyboard to show what I mean by the angle iron. [p]----| |----
    | |
    |

|
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I intend on getting some angle iron or aluminum, and making hooks or whatever on both ends, with a drop in the center. Make two of these, suspend from fire ring. Want flat part to be about half way down to the coals. Then set pizza stone on the two cross pieces. Stone will be lower than grill, but not right on top of coals, which does not make much sense to me. Hope this explanation makes sense.[p]
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,What would happen if you placed another grid right on top of the pizza pan or 2 quart cast iron pot? Broken peices of bricks to lift up second grid with HD foil in between to catch the grease? I have tried all combinations and it would be hard for me to see much of any difference a raised grid would make. Thanks
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Linda,
    i use a wally world 4 dollar pizza pan that has been customized (with a pair of pliers) by bending the edges to a scolloped pattern that fits slightly loose at the bottom of the fire ring.
    works better than the alum foil and skillet rig i had and the pizza stone that breaks with every use. the fire bricks increase thermal mas but with a bge you have more than enough mass.

• Unknown
    Options
    Linda,
    *I would go one further. Plate setters and pizza stones not only deflect heat but they also absorb heat and stay very hot. They hold heat by their very "ceramic" nature. I think it makes far more sense to create a layer of insulation between the radiant heat of the fire and what you are cooking, as jwitheld described with his metal pizza pan.What is important is that the cooking chamber stay at an even temperature, top bottom and sides. I personally use 4 to 5 layers of crumpled and partially flattened foil loosely placed in a pie or cake pan to create an insulating layer of dead air space between the crumpled layers of foil. The metal pan protects the foil from very high temps. The next successive layers insulate. The top layer (spread out) creates a throw away drip pan that allows me to catch pristine drippings with no clinkers. This makes great sauces and graves.
    Even Temps, Shotgun Fred

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Shotgun Fred,[p]That sounds a little like my "double boiler" drip pan I came up with 5-6 years ago. My wife wanted drippings from the turkey and using just a drip pan would allow the drippings to smoke and burn. Mine uses a layer of water to help insulate the top foil layer and the area where the drippings collect. It worked very well and was really easy to clean up.[p]Tim