Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon advice please........

Options
EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been asked to make salmon by the wife. I have done salmon before but I feel there might be better ways to do make it, especially by those who are more experienced with the EGG.

I have the Salmon marinating in Yoshida's Gourmet sauce, then will dust with lemon pepper rub.

My questions are: what is a good Dome temp ?, and Direct or indirect? Raised ?

What is a internal temp for the Salmon?

Thank you.

Gary

Comments

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I cook mine, 350 degrees, direct, raised grid, cook to about 135 internal. Sounds like a nice marinade for it. Let us know how it turns out. :)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Gary...I do mine direct and pull at 120-125*. Start flesh side down (sprayed with a tiny bit of pam). Don't fiddle with it, and as soon as the flesh releases from the grid, it's ready to flip. If it is sticking, it's not ready to flip. Finish skin side down. You can slide the skin off prior to serving if you want.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    350 F. on a Cedar or Alder plank would be nice too. ;)
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    I cook mine over a hot fire (probably 450-ish), direct, on a cast iron grid in the standard position.

Brush the salmon lightly with oil, and season.

Oil the grate well with a folded paper towel, and then immediately put the salmon on, skin side up.

As LC says, don't flip it until it releases from the grid. With oiling the grate well, I can usually get it to release early enough that I can give it a quarter turn and get a nice cross-hatch before I have to flip.

I cook skin-on, so that I can get a pretty looking top half, and then can cook it the rest of the way through, on the second side, without having to worry about whether I'm going to burn it...just slide the skin off before serving. Alternatively, you can set the salmon to a cooler part of the egg to finish cooking...like all the way to the outside...or on a raised grid.

I don't know about internal temp, I don't own a thermapen, and just go by feel, with salmon. My wife and I like ours a little undercooked, so I pull it while there is still a little give to the meat when poked. I hate few things worse than overcooked salmon.

I'm not familiar with the marinade you're using, if it has a lot of sugar in it, you might want to be careful about how high heat you use...might be more prone to burning.
    IMG_4704.jpg
  • SmokingLong
    Options
    I recommend planking also. Its hard to go wrong and there is no flipping of the fish. Just remember to thoroughly soak the plank first. Plus it gives the fish a delicate smokiness. It takes a little longer than cooking the fish under direct heat, but it also gives you a larger margin of error as the internal temp rises more slowly. Oil the plank side of the fish to prevent sticking if there is the skin is removed. If the skin is still on, there is no need to use oil. You can pull the fish anywhere between 15 and 135 degrees depending on how done you like your fish. I prefer 125 when the salmon is med rare. After cooking, I scrub the plank and have found you can get several uses out of it.