Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which Gasket: Rutland or Nomex?

highpress
highpress Posts: 694
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys.
Well, my orignal felt gasket has long been fried. Currently my egg is naked and works fine, I just don't like the way the smoke escapes out of the side. After doing some searching on the forum it looks like the 2 main gasket replacements would be Nomex or Rutland.

Which one do you think is better? I want to get this thing AIRTIGHT! I'm leaning towards the rutland, as you only have to put it on the bottom, and probably use some copper permatex sealent. Not really worried about "health risks" w/the rutland.... Just trying to get some opinions! thanks

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I have Rutland on 2 of my 3 Eggs...when I return from Waldorf the large BGE will also get Rutland..(it to is currently naked) it is my preferred choice.. :)
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I have a Rutland installed with Rutland's high temp silicone adhesive on my medium egg. It required gaskets on the top AND bottom to be able to seal properly. The thing is bulletproof. Never eat the fiberglass fibers or you will be constipated. :blush:

That said, the Rutland is not intended to be used near food.
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    Well my nomex got torched this past weekend. Going to try the rutland gasket and permatex silicon next.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    The fiberglass fibers have the opposite effect on me... :S so I stopped eating them... :lol: :silly:
  • What Kim said - Rutland on Small and Mini and waiting on delivery to put it on my XL.

Had a nomex on my XL for two years and it worked fine. Over time it seemed to get brittle so I removed it a couple weeks ago.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Same here Kim but I still have to take a bite every now and then :whistle:
    I have the rutland on 3 of the eggs and will add it to the mini when I find the smaller size.
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    although the Rutland might be a better gasket, the fact that it isn't recommended around food would be a concern for me IMO....but since you aren't worried about health concerns go with Rutland :laugh:
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Check out Coltronics. BubbaTim has a nice pictorial on his website www.bubbatim.com
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    There is a big difference between "not recommended for use around food" and "has not been approved for use around food".

The former implies that it has been tested and has shown to be harmful. The latter only states that it has not been tested in such applications.

No one has tested it, so no one can state that it is dangerous or causes health issues. The only thing we know for certain is that it has not been approved by the FDA for use around food, but only because they never tested it - not because it failed.
  • Fidel
    Gasket choice aside (I use rutland, for the record), why are you concerned about smoke coming out the sides? It comes out the top, so why does it matter if it leaks out the sides? As long as you can maintain temps then "airtight" isn't really an issue.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    The Naked Whiz has addressed the Rutland safety issue, rumors etc and has prepared a comprehensive report - you might want to read it.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/gasketsafety/gasketsafety.htm
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I would get a Nomex. Many people on the forum have used it as well, and have no problems. Personally, I don't think the "untested" fiberglass is worth any risk, when there is a tested, safe alternative that works just as well.

If you get Nomex, search the forum for how to pre-shrink the gasket prior to installing.
  • Fidel
    There have been quite a few people posting lately with nomex failures. They aren't bulletproof.

Never once heard of a Rutland failure. I've cleaned mine by blasting it with a MAPP torch until the sauce I spilled all over it turned to ash.

To each his own, but to say there are no problems with the nomex isn't exactly accurate.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    use the rutland cement first, if you get a good bond its on like the bark on a tree. if it fails which sometimes happens either reuse the cement in the loose section or use the silicone. they make a sticky back rutland as well but it didnt work for me, others that dont go as high with the heat it may work for. for what its worth i have no gasket, it leaks smoke everywhere and that doesnt bother me one bit :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Rod - I have experienced NO problems with Cotronics on three different Eggs. Installed with Permatex 26B RTV available at most h'ware and auto parts stores.

b
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I have had very poor experiences using the Rutland gasket cement that comes with the tape. I have also has poor performance using 3M Super 77 adhesive. The high temp silicone grabs the gasket and the egg in a death grip that never lets loose. This is just my personal experiences over the years. I would strongly recommend high temp silicone as the adhesive regardless of what ever type gasket you are using.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    ive done rutlands twice, the first held well, the second didnt last, its a gamble on the cement expiring before its sold. i havent tried the silicone but my pizza cooks are at high temps, i leave trhe vents open and start cooking at 900 degrees and it creeps up into the 1200 degree range as i cook the pies, the silicone wouldnt stand a chance for me.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    FWIW, I tried the nomex, and in short order I fried two of them. OTOH, RRP hooked me up with Rutlands for my large and medium, and aside from adjusting the bands a couple of times, they work great.

fc :)
  • AK56
    AK56 Posts: 2
    I will be buying my first egg in a month or so. Maybe sooner if I can get my wife drunk enough before then. Maybe I should buy one for her for Mothers day!! :evil:

Anyway, do you guys think there would be any advantage to changing the gasket before I ever use it and get it over with?? Would it be easier to clean?
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    If Rutland themselves state it should not be used around food then that's all I need to know, I ceretainly do not need testing to tell me it's possibly harmful.....I still error on the side of caution
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I think anyone who is worried about Rutland gaskets should read the DuPont MSDS for Nomex.....
    The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    Good point!

Here it is:
    http://www.nafaa.org/nomex.pdf

I really like this part:
    Other Precautions: USE ONLY WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION. AVOID DUST GENERATION.
    DO NOT CONSUME FOOD, DRINK, OR OTHER TOBACCO IN AREAS WHERE THEY MAY BECOME
    CONTAMINATED WITH THIS MATERIAL.
  • RRP
    When the Rutland is compressed back into itself it becomes wider, more dense and therefore thicker hence only needed on the bottom. I would never place on both sides so as to wave the gasket over the food every time you open and close.

IMG_0317.jpg
  • chrono
    My rutland just shipped out from amazon and I picked up some permatex high heat copper silicon from O'reileys auto parts down the street yesterday. I'm hoping this fixes my gasket issue for a long while.
  • RRP
    I hope you got the right one from Amazon. BTW what did it cost you?
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    I've used the stock felt gaskets for 2 years, then went to Rutland... got nervous about it and went back to stock, then to Nomex. Currently my nomex has 5 cooks under it's belt... and is looking a little charred in one spot and seems to be shrinking in width... not lenght! I preshrank it in the clothes dryer for 45 minutes before installing it and had a perfectly clean surface, used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive on both surfaces and allowed to dry to the touch, then installed the gasket and shut the lid and let it cure for 48 hours before using it.
    It's stuck on perfectly, but doesn't look like it will last as long as I was hoping for.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.. hoping someone will work on my idea for me. Machine a lip on the top and one on the bottom opposite to form an interlocking seal. Then coat the bottom portion with a cushion gasket of stock felt for shock absorption only and never worry about the gasket again. Maybe it sounds easy to me.... but actually would be harder to do, but it could be cast into the Egg from the factory if they would only do it. We'll see!

Cheers!
  • chrono
    Someone posted the link in the pizza thread I had a couple days ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Inc-Gasket-Tape-95-6/dp/B000MIPB6S

I think that's the right one.
  • BMFD
    BMFD Posts: 25
    I fried mine last night cooking Pizza for the first time, my egg is less than three months old. It sounds like Rutland is the way to go,, where do you purchase them?
  • read about the health risks of the Rutland. i did buy one at a wood hearth dealer but I have been reading about the fibreglass that can get into your food. I am going to put on the Nomex tonight.
  • BMFD
    BMFD Posts: 25
    Ok,, I see where to purchase it now. I am going to shoot you a message Prigg. I have a few questions and need some help for sure,, off to work but will get to it tonight.