Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Geiggo pizza...so easy a cave man could do it!

schmeetex
schmeetex Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, so I know you don't get any creativity points for cooking up a Papa Murphy's pizza...but it really is quick and easy...and much better than any of the carryout/delivery alternatives.

PapaMurphyspizza006.jpg

This is REALLY important, don't get the "family" size, it is too big for the placesetter. Made that mistake the first time...the "large" size is perfect.

PapaMurphyspizza007.jpg

Cooked for 15 minutes at 425 and then removed the cardboard that the pizza comes on (tried to remove after 10 minutes, but was still a bit doughy). Finished it off for about 7 more minutes and it was perfect. A little crunch on the bottom crust with the added flavor of the BGE.

PapaMurphyspizza009.jpg

Also experienced my first ever "thunderstorm" BGE cookout. So do you think my neighbors think I'm weird for covering my egg with an umbrella for 20 minutes? (didn't want to have soggy pizza with rain coming in the top)

PapaMurphyspizza005.jpg

I'll be applying for Junior Egghead status at the Texas Eggfest this Saturday. Hope to see some of you there!

SchmeeTex

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Looks YUMMEE to me! B)
  • I noticed that you cooked the pizza right on your plate setter. Do you ever have problems with the bottom of the pizza burning prior to the top being done?
  • I have tried to buy the pizzas in the raw around the house and none of them will do it so far. Need to keep looking. That looks good and easy. My kind of cook. Papa John's said no way.
  • schmeetex
    Actually, I have a ceramic pizza pan on top of the plate setter. It is a pan my wife has had for years and works well. If it breaks (as some have said happens with "off" brands), I'll go ahead and buy the BGE ceramic pizza pan.

Tonight was the first time I used the cardboard that the pizza comes on (it is designed to withstand 425 temperatures) and I really liked the bottom crust better than when I've tried pizza right on the ceramic pan (which gave it a slight "burned" flavor).

I think it helped to remove the cardboard after 15 minutes as the pizza then had a very good crisp, but not charred, texture.

Finally, I'd say keep an eye on the pizza after 15 minutes and remove when the crust turns golden brown...just before you get any black char on the crust.

Good luck! I now know why some say that pizza is one of their favorite things on the BGE.

SchmeeTex
  • schmeetex
    Willy,

Papa Murphy's is a chain that only makes "pre-baked" pizzas. I'm sure there is one near you in or around Spring. Sam's Club also makes pre-baked pizzas, I haven't tried one yet, but they look pretty good.

SchmeeTex
  • Please do explain "pre-baked pizza" the ones i have gotten from them ate raw and ready to go.
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    we love Papa Murphy's take and bake pizza, the Murphy's Combo is fantastic.....sure beats jackin with making dough....after doing Papa Murphy's and my last failed attempt at pizza dough, it's all I'll do on the egg for now on